Grub 2:2.06.r322.gd9b4638c5-1 won't boot and goes straight to the BIOS after update

Yay.

All hail to @dalto. Yet, what off now?

:question:

3 Likes

I do not and I never did. Is there anything that makes you (and @sradjoker , @Stagger_Lee and @ivanhoe ) think I did?

You are right, sorry, will delete my post

Nobody said so.
It’s strictly “to the issue” here, afaict.

noob question, but how long should we be ignoring grub updates?

You shouldn’t be ignoring them. You should be following the instructions here:

3 Likes

Calm down, arch is maintained by volunteers! you can’t expect them to throw away everything and run to fix some issue. They probably at work or otherwise indisposed. If you are this distressed by a broken package and anxious about minor fixable bugs, then you should think about using a non rolling release distro or manjaro, I think that one holds back updates.

2 Likes

generally you should wait a few days if you see a grub update. Right now you can fix it with grub-install before reboot. The next update will be fine probably.

1 Like

Windoze might be the solution for you, especially.

2 Likes

Hey friend, calm down a bit. I agree that software that makes mistakes should be withdrawn. But especially with voluntary work, it’s always such a thing: the one who uses it often takes it more seriously than the other who makes it. I think it is a fine line that is not always easy to walk for users and for developers.
And: even though I personally was totally annoyed about the grub bug today (I agree with you), I must not forget that I did not pay a cent for grub/Arch and I have to consider what obligations the grub or Arch team has towards me – or towards themselves.

4 Likes

Finally a post in arch forums
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=279115
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=279169

1 Like

What should I do now?
i booted to liveusb and followed the instruction and rebuilt grub successfully.
It still boots to bios. Argh!!

It is btrfs and the snapshots are listed when i rebuilt grub.

What else can I try?

I can’t possibly read all the responses to this thread (maybe I should). This event may be a good example, or driving point, to possibly give users the option to select their preferred bootloader during the Endeavour OS install.

Grub can still be the default option of course, but I’ve seen users who would like to use systemd-boot (for example) and we even have detailed information on this website for switching from grub.

Why not be able to select your desired bootloader?

done that and its the same exactly issue…

1 Like

rebuilding grub.cfg will not solve the issue as it needs to reinstall the grub files into ESP so not grub-mkconfig is needed its grub-install what needs to be run as it is said in the pinned post also.

https://forum.endeavouros.com/t/the-latest-grub-package-update-needs-some-manual-intervention/30689/4

1 Like

On the one hand you are right, on the other hand it is not only a small bug, but it makes the whole system unusable for the time being. A condition that is unacceptable for a production system, no matter who the developers are. Then maybe there should be a warning on the homepage: Attention, for serious and reliable work only conditionally usable! SCNR

Yup, got bit by this one. Wound up using my live EOS ISO to arch-chroot in. First tried re-running grub-mkconfig but, that didn’t work. Then just restored from timeshift, got rebooted and back on this forum then found this was a known issue with the fix (thanks Dalto :slight_smile: ). Going to test it now, then I’m off to go swordfighting.

EDITED: to remove this assumption, was not correct.

1 Like

I followed it to the letter and still boots to Bios. What else can i try? I have an unbootable system.

@dalto I have the default btrfs setup with your btrfs assistant. No dual boot, just :enos: Should i be doing anything differently than the 2 docs joe published? I got no errors with arch-chroot.

How do i downgrade grub or boot to my last snapshot in cli?

Also on liveusb it does not recognize
loadkeys fr so its hard to find the symbols like pipe to troubleshoot.

You are absolutely right. Although I think that normal users who just use EOS have probably never heard of chroot (just as I read about arch-chroot for the first time today). How are they supposed to fix the problem if the computer won’t even boot?
But there is something good about it: I got to know refind, as well as arch-chroot, and we discovered how good this forum is here. Because that helped me enormously in solving the problem.

Just finished reinstalling. again. Note to self: check the forum BEFORE updating.

1 Like