GPU not being recognized/used after update

Hello! So I’ve been running EOS for about a year and things have been going pretty decent, but with my last system update things aren’t working so well. I think part of this issue is due to the fact I left the PC in hibernate for 3 weeks while I was dealing with some personal stuff and when I got back I decided to update the system instead of giving it a reboot first.

From my current digging, it appears that my system is no longer recognizing my gpu. When I put nvidia-smi into the terminal it gives me “no devices were found” and during boot I get a nvidia-drm error of “Failed to allocate NvKmsKapiDevice.” Due to the gpu not actually working, my second monitor also isn’t working. I’ve had similar issues with this in the past, but managed to fix it after some random tinkering, but I’m not finding much info I can wrap my head around on how to fix this one. I also tried using eos-shifttime but I was running to several issues with that. Figured it would be best to reach out to people who would know of a better way to fix this issue before I go trying to figure out shifttime.

My output from: lspci -k | grep -A 2 -E “(VGA|3D)”

08:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation TU106 [GeForce RTX 2070] (rev a1)
	Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI] Device 3731
	Kernel driver in use: nvidia

Here’s the errors from: journalctl -p err -e

Sep 29 14:48:10 The-Wizard-Hut kernel: virt/tdx: TDX not supported by the host platform
Sep 29 14:48:10 The-Wizard-Hut kernel: 
Sep 29 14:48:11 The-Wizard-Hut kernel: [drm:nv_drm_dev_load [nvidia_drm]] *ERROR* [nvidia-drm] [GPU ID 0x00000800] Failed t>
Sep 29 14:48:23 The-Wizard-Hut kernel: nvidia-gpu 0000:08:00.3: i2c timeout error e0000000
Sep 29 14:48:23 The-Wizard-Hut kernel: ucsi_ccg 3-0008: i2c_transfer failed -110
Sep 29 14:48:23 The-Wizard-Hut kernel: ucsi_ccg 3-0008: ucsi_ccg_init failed - -110
Sep 29 14:48:23 The-Wizard-Hut kernel: ucsi_ccg 3-0008: probe with driver ucsi_ccg failed with error -110
Sep 29 14:48:34 The-Wizard-Hut wpa_supplicant[1194]: bgscan simple: Failed to enable signal strength monitoring

Here’s my “inxi -FAZ” with hopefully all of the reliant info (I can send more if needed obvi).

System:
  Kernel: 7.2.7-arch1-1 arch: x86_64 bits: 64
  Desktop: KDE Plasma v: 6.7.5 Distro: EndeavourOS
Machine:
  Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: PRIME X470-PRO v: Rev X.0x
    serial: <superuser required> Firmware: UEFI vendor: American Megatrends
    v: 4024 date: 09/07/2018
CPU:
  Info: 8-core model: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X bits: 64 type: MT MCP cache: L2: 4 MiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 2200 min/max: 2200/4350 cores: 1: 2200 2: 2200 3: 2200
    4: 2200 5: 2200 6: 2200 7: 2200 8: 2200 9: 2200 10: 2200 11: 2200 12: 2200
    13: 2200 14: 2200 15: 2200 16: 2200
Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA TU106 [GeForce RTX 2070] driver: nvidia v: 615.71.09
  Display: wayland server: X.org v: 1.21.1.24 with: Xwayland v: 24.1.13
    compositor: kwin_wayland driver: X: loaded: modesetting
    gpu: simple-framebuffer resolution: 1024x768~60Hz
  API: EGL v: 1.5 drivers: swrast platforms: wayland,x11,surfaceless,device
  API: OpenGL v: 4.6 vendor: mesa v: 26.2.3-arch1.1 renderer: llvmpipe
    (LLVM 22.1.8 256 bits)
  API: Vulkan Message: No Vulkan data available.
  Info: Tools: api: clinfo, eglinfo, glxinfo, vulkaninfo
    de: kscreen-console,kscreen-doctor gpu: nvidia-smi wl: wayland-info
    x11: xdpyinfo, xprop, xrandr
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 1.82 TiB used: 499.18 GiB (26.8%)
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WDS100T2B0A-00SM50
    size: 931.51 GiB
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 913.83 GiB used: 498.9 GiB (54.6%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-0
Swap:
  ID-1: swap-1 type: file size: 24 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) file: /swapfile
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 68.2 C mobo: 37.0 C
  Fan Speeds (rpm): cpu: 0
Info:
  Memory: total: 16 GiB available: 15.53 GiB used: 4.61 GiB (29.7%)
  Processes: 337 Uptime: 55m Shell: fish inxi: 3.3.41

I dug into things a bit more, it appears that I’m having similar issues and outputs to this thread from the arch forum, but my understanding of computers is lagging behind a bit to wrap my head around it.

I also attempted downgrading the kernel and nvidia drivers with no change besides nvidia-smi outputting this now. Attempted to do eos-shifttime and ran into issues downgrading both cuda and pipewire-pulse

NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

Ope, didn’t realize that would send it. Well guess its posted now

So you updated before any reboot from a state 3 month ago.. and rebooted after that?

Check:
pacman -Qs nvidia

Shows installed packages related
Easiest would be to reinstall kernel and Nvidia packages.

sudo pacman -Syu linux nvidia-utils nvidia-open

But depends on what is actually installed.

Howdy! I tried to update kernel/nvidia but this brings up a new problem. pacman exits with this error.

error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
pipewire-pulse: /usr/share/pipewire/pipewire-pulse.conf.avail/20-upmix.conf exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

I’ve also tried downgrading pipewire-pulse (version 1:1.6.8-1) along with its many dependencies: libpipewire, pipewire-audio, pipewire, gst-plugin-pipewire, and pipewire-alsa. Unfortunately, it also fails with the same error mentioned above.

I also only had it in hibernate for 3 weeks not 3 months. But yes I ran a pacman -Syu and rebooted into the gpu not working.

Not sure if this would be useful, but upgrading the kernel related packages of linux, linux-api-headers, and linux-headers resulted in the following packages being upgraded alongside it. Should I just upgrade the linux and the nvidia packages without the other 2 headers?

Packages (34) cifs-utils-7.8-1  f2fs-tools-1.17.0-1
              firefox-157.0-1  lib32-libpng-1.6.59-1
              lib32-nvidia-utils-615.71.09-1
              lib32-openssl-1:3.6.5-1  lib32-pcre2-10.49-1
              libgsf-1.14.60-1  libntfs-3g-2026.9.28-1
              libpng-1.6.59-1  librsvg-2:2.62.4-1
              libsrtp-1:2.8.1-1  libwireplumber-0.5.18-1
              libxnvctrl-615.71.09-1  nodejs-26.10.0-2
              ntfs-3g-2026.9.28-1  nvidia-open-615.71.09-4
              nvidia-settings-615.71.09-1
              nvidia-utils-615.71.09-1
              opencl-nvidia-615.71.09-1  openssl-3.6.5-1
              pam-1.7.3-1  pangomm-2.48-2.58.0-1
              pcre2-10.49-1  pipewire-pulse-1:1.6.9-1
              python-fonttools-4.66.1-1
              python-platformdirs-4.12.2-1
              python-pycurl-7.48.0-1  simdjson-1:5.0.1-1
              sof-firmware-2026.09.1-1
              wireplumber-0.5.18-1  linux-7.2.7.arch1-1
              linux-api-headers-7.2-1
              linux-headers-7.2.7.arch1-1

Post the outputs from these 2

pacman -Qo /usr/share/pipewire/pipewire-pulse.conf.avail/20-upmix.conf
ls -l /usr/share/pipewire/pipewire-pulse.conf.avail/20-upmix.conf

Caught me just before bed, here’s the outputs of those 2 in order.

1).

error: No package owns /usr/share/pipewire/pipewire-pulse.conf.avail/20-upmix.conf

2).

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 225 Jul 10 07:31 /usr/share/pipewire/pipewire-pulse.conf.avail/20-upmix.conf

So nothing is using it. Just rename the file

sudo mv /usr/share/pipewire/pipewire-pulse.conf.avail/20-upmix.conf \
/usr/share/pipewire/pipewire-pulse.conf.avail/20-upmix.conf.bak

And update

I gave that rename a try and I was able to successfully update! Everything seems back in functioning order now with nvidia-smi outputting correctly, my monitor through the gpu is back on, and the screen resolution is back to normal!

Haven’t had a shot to stress the gpu any, but its at least being recognized now so I’m guessing it’ll be fine. Thanks everyone! I’m not sure how marking this resolved/solved works (since it was a bit of a team effort), but I’m thankful to everyone that responded! :smiley:

(I’m also glad this was a fairly straightforward fix. I figured it would be something quite silly.)