Gpg key error after fresh install

Hey guys, hope all is going well for yall today. I’m pretty new to Linux, and I’m learning a lot every day. I just installed Endeavour OS for the first time, hopefully not in vain. To get to the point, I’m having gpg key errors stating that the repo is out of date. Specs on my pc are hp desktop with i-7700 and inegrated intel 630 graphics. This thing won’t let me uplad a text file, so I’m not sure how to show ya’ll, but basically it was saying retreiving files from endeavours while trying to -Syy. Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

2 Likes

If ya’ll need any more information, please just ask and I will happily provide it.

Do you get errors when updating?

Please try sudo pacman -Syu

Just tried it and it’s giving me the same output.

error: failed retrieving file 'endeavouros.db' from github.com : error setting certificate verify locations:
  CAfile: /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
  CApath: none
error: failed retrieving file 'endeavouros.db' from github.com : error setting certificate verify locations:
error: failed retrieving file 'endeavouros.db' from sourceforge.net : error setting certificate verify locations:
error: failed retrieving file 'endeavouros.db' from sourceforge.net : error setting certificate verify locations:
error: failed to update endeavouros (download library error)
error: failed to synchronize all databases

I’ll have to check this. Looks like openssl error.

OK, thank you for looking into it. Anything you do find and can let me know about, please do. I’m still learning linux a bit.

ok, Did you install using the iso from official release? endeavouros-2019.07.15-x86_64.iso

Yes sir, I chose direct download when seeing all the different download options. I do believe it is usually best to go straight to the source :wink:

1 Like

Indeed!
I’m just tried to update the system and all is ok. Downloaded the necessary packages and no errors.

I can give you some steps to follow, if you’re interested in learning and playing with the system a bit.

I can’t even download from aur or yay. Just tried downloading spotify with no luck.
error setting certificate verify locations:

I would definitly like that.

1 Like

Yeah, definitly loks like ca-certificates, no idea what went wrong.

first of all try this
sudo rm /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
and
sudo pacman -Syu

[jay@jay-pc ~]$  sudo rm /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
[sudo] password for jay: 
rm: cannot remove '/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt': No such file or directory
[jay@jay-pc ~]$ 

sthe file should be there. ok

sudo pacman -Sw ca-certificates-utils
sudo pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/ca-certificates-utils-20181109-1-any.pkg.tar.xz
sudo pacman -Syu

Thank you so much. That helped. I can confirm that the file was not in the specified folder, but this fixed it. Again, from a noob, thank you so much for the help.

1 Like

Small problem though. After the fix and trying to import the keys from the download section, I still get this…
[jay@jay-pc ~]$ gpg --verify endeavouros-2019.07.15-x86_64.iso.sig
gpg: can’t open ‘endeavouros-2019.07.15-x86_64.iso.sig’: No such file or directory
gpg: verify signatures failed: No such file or directory

But with that being said, all the repos seem to be working now.

I’m glad you fixed it. Though is a mystery why the file was missing there.
I’m a noobie too. And i thank you for the oportunity of learning more about this too :smile:

gpg: can’t open ‘endeavouros-2019.07.15-x86_64.iso.sig’: No such file or directory

It means the file is not in the same folder where you’re running the terminal. (or doesn’t exist at all)

I’m trying to find the post that had another fix, but can’t seem to find it now. Something about importing and refreshing the keys. I originally tried to reply to that post with this info, but I can’t seem to find it now. pacman-key --init results in an outdated gpg-agent stating that the new one is supposed to be on 2.2.17, but I’m on 2.2.16. Also, pacman-key --populate archlinux endeavouros results in disabling a crap ton of keys.

I’m not sure what you’re trying to do

sudo pacman-key --init
sudo pacman-key --populate
sudo pacman-key --refresh-keys
sudo pacman -Syu

After that your system should be ok.

1 Like

@fernandomaroto thanks for all the help yesterday. Apparently I didn’t have any more replies left for my first day as a new user of endeavour os forums. I like to give credit where credit is due.

That was def in the post all the way at the bottom, but they had a different issue as well, but those ar the exact commands I was looking for. the init one tells me that the server gpg-agent I’m on is 2.2.16 and I should be on 2.2.17. Populate seems to disable about 2/3 of the page worth of keys. It does locally sign 6 keys though. No issues noticed when refreshing keys. Then -Syu seems that everything is ok though. Not sure why it’s saying the gpg is out of date thoough. Not sure if that will be an issue in the long run. I did figure out what the problem was though. I followed the article links that pop up on boot and at the very bottom it had instructions to remove the gpg key.