Gnome shell extensions: questions and experiences

Wayland is the future :wink:

I am going to get bashed by the :frog: :rofl:

I use Wayland because it allows to scale several screens with different scaling factors as opposed to one global scaling. X11 can’t do it or at least used to not be able to do it properly without some odd tweaks and tearing.

Edit: My only beef with Wayland is it doesn’t allow screen sharing on zoom (have to use for work), but that might be fixable. Else I don’t really notice a difference as an end-user. For me it’s just about scaling properly on screens with different resolutions, globally. Not just fonts vs icons and no problems with GTK vs qt apps. That was a problem I had on X11 with hybrid laptop with 4 k screen hooked up to 1080 dpi screen, no way to scale and everything appeared gigantic…

1 Like

The answer to this question depends on who you ask.

If you ask developers they will tell you that wayland is more modern, more secure and has potentially the better performance.

If you ask the end user they will tell you that it hardly makes a difference in daily live. Wayland is not better for the end user in daily live. In fact, wayland does not have color calibration yet which is a must have for users who take photo work serious. And this is the main reason why I still stick to X11.

1 Like

Indeed, Wayland could be a new hot topic. Here, however, let’s stay with Gnome extensions. The thread could be split from here.

1 Like

To keep the two threads clean, please post topics about Wayland in the new post linked above.
I didn’t split the topic because it would remove the logical flow of this thread and it wouldn’t make sense if I add the posts to the new topic. The Wayland topic is too interwoven with the original topic over here, so continue that one over there.

Is it worth using an extension to split the windows, or is it enough what Gnome offers by default? (like on the iPad)

Myself, I would get by with tiling just two windows which is what GNOME has by default.
I don’t feel the need to split the workspace further in smaller windows on the 13-14" screen of my laptop.

If it is “worth” doing it with with an extension? I guess that depends on the personal preferences.

pop shell for tiling windows …

I usually only keep a maximum of two windows open in a workspace. Their number can be dynamically increased anyway. Among other things, I was amazed at the use of virtual windows a good 22 years ago, when I was first shown Linux by a system administrator colleague at the time.
See how easy it is to like Gnome? :slight_smile: But before, I preferred a comfortable version (Cinnamon) and a very stable desktop environment (Xfce).

1 Like

Thanks, I saw this and asked. This is a very good extension

1 Like

agree if use mouse/trackpad. different if you keyboard focused use :blush:

( less mouse/trackpad use is better in long term :wink: )

1 Like