GNOME removable drive panel icons launch thunar

I’ve got Nautilus set to the default file browser but it looks like whatever’s handling automount and putting icons on the panel is generating Thunar icons rather than nautilus, or generic “default file browser” icons. I’ve been looking around and haven’t been able to find where this is configured, or which utility EOS is using so I can go configure that. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Ok got the fix for this on Reddit, I’m going to repeat it here becuase it’s not strictly a GNOME thing, and hopefully searches will pick this up for others later. Basically, your default file manager is not defined within your desktop but by xdg-mime, so issuing

xdg-mime query default inode/directory

will tell you what it’s set for. It appears Endeavour defaults to Thunar in general (not a bad choice to be honest but GNOME doesn’t always handle multiple windows well). So, to chanfge it to Natilus (GNOME files) for example, this command does it:

xdg-mime default nautilus.desktop inode/directory

Obviously you can replace nautilus.desktop with the shortcut to whatever file manager you might prefer.

So if anyone else runs across this, hope this helps!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.