Gnome not starting on latest kernel

Hi,

I have an issue with Gnome when using the latest 5.10.11-arch1-1 kernel: when starting the computer, Gnome does not appear to load. It gets stuck at a black screen with a white blinking cursor. To solve it, I switch the virtual console by pressing ctrl+alt+f2 and then go back to the 1st one with ctrl+alt+f1 and Gnome suddenly starts.

I’m quite sure it’s a kernel issue as this does not happen with LTS (although with that one I run with some Lutris issues).

Any clue or tip on how to fix it? Here are my system specs:

5.10.12 is in Arch testing, so either use LTS for now, or if you want to see if 5.10.12 will work then either cherry-pick it from testing or or use another kernel at 5.10.12 (e.g. linux-lqx).

(Also, it’s generally a good thing to post text output as text.)

1 Like

Sorry for posting as image, instead of text. Won’t happen again.

In the meantime I’ve found a failed systemd backlight service and masked it, and it solved the issue at least for now. I’ll look into your suggestion too.

2 Likes

The failed systemd backlight probably can be fixed with a kernel parameter acpi_backlight=video in the grub command line.

1 Like

After Googling a bit, looks like it’s a systemd issue and it can be fixed by adding the following line to gdm.service:

[Service]
ExecStartPre=/bin/sleep 1

To modify the mentioned service need to do

$ systemctl edit gdm.service

Hopefully someone finds this helpful :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This here worked, thanks. :smile: I rebooted a couple of times to verify and it worked both times.

1 Like

This helped me: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1946917#p1946917

1 Like

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for giving EndeavourOS a try. Good to see it being used on a production machine? (Senior Software Developer working on EndeavourOS)

I hope you enjoy your time here.

Pudge

Hey, thanks for the welcome :slight_smile: Yes, I actually use EndeavourOS on my production machine doing a lot of coding and devops stuff. I’ve been doing distro-hopping a lot recently loving Arch Linux the most because it keeps me very productive. After having Manjaro for some time I noticed I’m more the vanilla-kinda-guy, so I gave EOS a try. And I think I may have found my final destination, so I signed up here :wink:

Cheers!
Tim

2 Likes