Gnome extensions after a system update

I ve been reading about how each system update breaks Gnome extensions, but actually ran into it today. Running yay prompted an system upgrade, and my extensions became dead. I did do one thing before the upgrade finished though. I disabled all the extensions. After the upgrade was complete, and the system was rebooted I went to https://extensions.gnome.org/, and logged in. It showed my installed extensions, but they were indeed broken. I had to uninstall each extension, and then re install. They all installed properly, and the settings from the previous installed extensions miraculously were saved, and applied to the new installs. I have to say that, although I had to reinstall my chosen extensions. The process of getting them back up and running was simple, and straight forward. My hat’s off to the devs who make it all work!

1 Like

This is not entirely true.

Only if there is a version upgrade to GNOME’s main components itself (43 > 44 > 45), some but not all extensions which have not been updated to work with the new version may break or not function properly.

I suspect that in this particular case, they could have been disabled for some reason. Re-enabling them in the Extensions app should have been the simple solution.

You could look into your pacman log to verify no such updates to GNOME’s components could be found if you have not added a third party repository to install an alpha build of GNOME 45.

2 Likes

In the dconf settings I disable I think it’s called extension validation or something, which checks the extension to the gnome variant it’s supposed to work with. I rarely have extension issues

For instance Pop tiling didn’t work in gnome 44. . . Until I disabled it, and then it worked perfectly. Somewhere it just wasn’t told to work on 44 so it says it shouldn’t and became disabled.

1 Like

I actually found that setting the dconf editor. I try to avoid using that app, but thanks for that.