GLib and gobject-introspection-runtime conflict (core-testing)

Hey there.

Tried a system update. I got the following error:

glib2: /usr/lib/girepository-1.0/GLib-2.0.typelib exists in filesystem (owned by gobject-introspection-runtime)
glib2: /usr/lib/girepository-1.0/GModule-2.0.typelib exists in filesystem (owned by gobject-introspection-runtime)
glib2: /usr/lib/girepository-1.0/GObject-2.0.typelib exists in filesystem (owned by gobject-introspection-runtime)
glib2: /usr/lib/girepository-1.0/Gio-2.0.typelib exists in filesystem (owned by gobject-introspection-runtime)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

I have core-testing packages on, and likely an issue with that.

Package (1)         Old Version  New Version  Net Change

core-testing/glib2  2.78.4-1     2.80.0-2      13,49 MiB

and here’s the gobject-introspection-runtime package

Package (1)                          Old Version  New Version  Net Change

extra/gobject-introspection-runtime  1.78.1-1     1.78.1-1       0,00 MiB

I regularly update the system (last update being 2-3 days ago at most).

Both glib2 and gobject-introspect have valuable dependencies, so removing any of them is not an option, and ignoring the package in update is not a good thing to do as far as I’m aware.

Here’s the command and the confirmation of the package ownership:

pacman -Qo /usr/lib/girepository-1.0/GLib-2.0.typelib
/usr/lib/girepository-1.0/GLib-2.0.typelib is owned by gobject-introspection-runtime 1.78.1-1

The Arch Linux wiki stated to file a bug report in a case such as this, but I still suspect I may be of blame.

Meanwhile endavouros wiki states to overwrite the file if nothing else works, but I am not sure I should just go ahead and do that without opinion of someone more experienced, since both packages have a lot of dependencies. (I have a pretty bad experience breaking the system and would like to avoid anything like that again :p)

Thanks for your help in advance.

The issue is that you are installing some stuff from from core-testing while you are keeping other stuff in extra.

If you want to upgrade your system to the testing repos, you would need to enable both core-testing and extra-testing.

Otherwise you will face issues of the kind you are having now and sooner or later end up with a broken system.

Got it, thank you. Will try enabling extra-testing as well.

1 Like

Well, enabling that caused some further issues, which probably means it was messed up enough already. If only I payed more attention to the wiki.

Luckily, disabling the testing packages and running pacman -Syuu (according to this post), all worked smoothly.

Thank you.

1 Like

Most probably you had already a mixed bag of packages form different repos.

Downgrading everything to the versions in the stable repo was a good call.

Try avoiding partial upgrade situation which is a recipe for trouble.

Glad you got it working now and welcome to the community @sandvman!

:enos: :handshake:t5:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.