Getting this while trying to install snapd and onedriver on EndeavourOS

gcc-5: error: unrecognized command line option '-fno-plt'
gcc-5: error: unrecognized command line option '-fstack-clash-protection'
gcc-5: error: unrecognized command line option '-fcf-protection'

Welcome here on the Forum :rocket:

I was first reading without the “on” in the title and was wondering about where the hell gcc-5 would be involved in installing EndeavourOS :wink:

Seems your want to install some AUR package/build?
Please give us some more info on what command/program exactly is used and what you want zo install.

apologies. I forgot to include the apps in the title. using yay to install snapd and onedriver. got the error first when trying to install snapd and now got it again while trying to install onedriver

What driver? Please be more specific.

oh. not a driver. Onedriver - Native Linux filesystem for Onedrive https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/onedriver/

Are your packages up to date? I am able to install onedriver. (not tried snapd)

install log : https://termbin.com/jyg68

1 Like

Sorry. I thought you were referring to one driver or a driver? :wink:

upgrading now. will try again after

On an Arch based system it is always necessary to update first before trying to install any package.

sudo pacman -Syu 

Edit: After when trying to build the package with yay. I would answer All to clean build the packages.

1 Like

still the same error after full upgrade and selecting All in Packages to cleanBuild question. is it safe to try and temporarily remove the flags causing the error?

Are you just pressing enter to each question and only All to the clean build? I’m not sure what the issue is?

Edit: I never usually have any issues building a package. I’m no expert on that.

All for the cleanBuild question and enter on the Diffs to show question. I actually also followed the instructions from the snapcraft docs and I am getting the same error.

$ git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/snapd.git
$ cd snapd
$ makepkg -si

That just shows me what you are doing which is fine but what is the actually errors in the build process.

Do you really need the .git package from AUR?

snapd is already in the repos.

[momo@machine ~]$ yay -Ss snapd
aur/zsnapd 0.8.11c-2 (+0 0.00) (Orphaned) 
    ZFS Snapshot Daemon
aur/snapd-glib-git 1.44.r6.g44ae271-1 (+1 0.00) (Orphaned) (Out-of-date: 2020-04-01) 
    Library to allow GLib/Qt based applications access to snapd, the daemon that controls Snaps
aur/snapdrop 2022.1.6-3 (+2 0.94) 
    A Progressive Web App for local file sharing
aur/snapd-xdg-open-git r44.6fed357-2 (+3 0.00) 
    Software for opening links from snaps in desktop
aur/snapd-git 2.45.r489.gf8a32f8e27-1 (+7 0.13) 
    Service and tools for management of snap packages.
aur/snapd-glib 1.59-1 (+9 0.67) 
    Library to allow GLib/Qt based applications access to snapd, the daemon that controls Snaps
aur/snapd 2.54.2-1 (+174 4.78) 
    Service and tools for management of snap packages.

It’s an AUR package too? :thinking:

Btw, these work for me; so it has to do something with your system. I could install snapd.

1 Like

same error as I originally posted

gcc-5: error: unrecognized command line option '-fno-plt'
gcc-5: error: unrecognized command line option '-fstack-clash-protection'
gcc-5: error: unrecognized command line option '-fcf-protection'

just trying to see if other options will work since installing from repo was having build errors.

gcc-5: error: unrecognized command line option

It looks like the errors are because gcc-5 is being used, and at least the first 2 options that are being invoked were not introduced until later versions (gcc-6 and gcc-8, respectively).

The current gcc package is at 11.1. So…why is gcc-5 being invoked? I’m thinking this may have something to do with it.

2 Likes