Getting hybrid intel/nvidia setup like fedora

I am trying to get eos working with my hybrid graphics laptop, with intel and nvidia quadro T2000. My question is not specific to my hardware but rather general.

Does anyone know what packages I would need to install on arch/eos to mimics fedora’s solution to the hybrid graphics and using the open source driver?

Do I just install mesa and x86 nouveau packages as shown here?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/nouveau

My experience:

Summary

The tricky part for these hybrid graphics is that the external monitor connected via hdmi only works through the nvidia gpu. I tested fedora and it ran really great via gnome DE. I know they use the nouveau driver, but not sure what else. I mean when I connect an external monitor it works, no tearing and the scaling on 4k laptop vs 1080 screen works almost perfectly. Optimus does not work that nicely, a lot of steps and hits and misses.

EndeavourOS might have a tool for installing Nvidia drivers. I will wait for someone else to post it here.

If you feel more adventurous, check the following:
You’d follow the below in Arch Linux: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NVIDIA_Optimus
Personally, just installing bumblebee or optimus-manager with Nvidia proprietary drivers works for me.

Thanks, tried nvidia proprietary and optimus but it is not great. Strangely fedora’s nouveau setup was scaling everything how it should and no screen tearing. I always feel optimus is a temporary patch.

Did you switch to the Nvidia GPU after installing it?

And based on what your DE is, there may be specific solutions for screen tearing. Which DE do you use?

I have tried on both kde and gnome, and that for several years, also ubuntu, pop os etc. Nvidia hybrid graphics are a pain.

I did all the steps including steps on github (where optimus is sourced) for kde vs gdm. I did the restart after installation of nvidia and optimus. That is why I am considering just going open source driver.

I just reinstalled eos today and did not select then nvidia driver. To my surprise it worked with the open source driver, even connecting an external monitor via the nvidia gpu. It did not work as easily out of the box with other distros like arcolinux.

Yes, it has some solution to install the proprietary driver on the wiki and combined with optimus-manager

The new ISO if you select the default entry it will install systems that have nvidia with nouveau open source drivers. You have to select the non free option on the live ISO to install Nvidia drivers.

1 Like

The strange thing is if I select the nouveau driver it works! If I select the nvidia driver, it doesnt switch my gpu and cant connect an external screen. For this I believe I had to go through the optimus-manager install and switching.

Yes i think you need to install optimus manager to do that.

Edit: If your satisfied with the nouveau open source drivers that is the way i would go. Especially if it works with automatic switching.

Edit2: A lot of users have issues with external monitors on Hybrid graphics so if it is working this way that’s good. I’m sure it can work with Nvidia but i bet it’s a hassle.

1 Like

Yeah, I got this laptop about a year ago for work, its a beast 8 cores i9 and 32 Gb RAM but after reading more about nvidia on the arch wiki and since discovering eos and learning more, I started to understand, never EVER again nvidia for me. My personal laptop was selectively avoiding nvidia and high dpi graphics, no more problems.

However, I wanted to give it another go on the i9 using an alternative approach to optimus.

The packages I mentioned handle the switching between Nvidia and integrated GPUs. What problems did you face?

1 Like

Does fedora using switcheroo?

Instability, inconsistent switching, and error messages and patches. I am not really looking into fixing optimus anymore but rather replacing by open source drivers as long as things work as expected, and fedora seems to have done it right. Thanks for caring though.

Thanks for the hint, will check it out!

@Zircon34
Here you go!

https://rpmfusion.org/Howto/NVIDIA

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/how-to-set-nvidia-as-primary-gpu-on-optimus-based-laptops/

1 Like

That if not true then false guide is so overcomplicated .

Hahaha.

RPM fusion is the way. It can just be done from GNOME software