Getting Error: irq no handler for vector

Hey guys,

so I bought a new desktop pc and when starting I get a messages with “irq no handler for vector”,

The thing is, it doesn’t seem to create any problems with my system. I installed my stuff, tried some games and everything works. After doing some research I found some threads on the arch forum, which didn’t solve the problem.

Then I found someone mentioning the kernel option “acpi=noirq” here. The error message doesn’t show anymore if the option is used, but my question now is, if this creates any downsides or problems with the system.

Here are the information from the EOS logging tool: http://ix.io/2vyd

Waiting to get an explanation from more experienced users you might want to have a look at:

@I0F
I also get the same message on my Ryzen 3800X since the latest UEFI update. I didn’t have it before i updated and i also had to enter the kernel parameter acpi=noirq in order to not see these messages on boot. It doesn’t seem to be affecting anything. IRQ’s have been around since the beginning and are mostly automatically assigned. Wouldn’t be too concerned about it.

You just need to add the acpi=noirq kernel parameter in the default grub line and update grub. Then you won’t see these messages on the boot screen. They will still be in the log.

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

Add

acpi=noirq

Put this in the line that that has “quiet”

Example:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“quiet acpi=noirq resume=/dev/nvme0n1p2 loglevel=3 resume_offset=1723101 nowatchdog”

Then update grub.

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

4 Likes