Geetings from a distrohopper in Guadeloupe

Hi, greetings from Guadeloupe, a French island in the Caribbean.

First, a A little about your namesake Endeavour. HMS Endeavour was also the name of the ship captained by James Cook, that brought my forebears to Australia from England, in the late 1700s, and became the settlers from England, but they came out as paying passengers as we found out through the offical historical records. When I saw the name of EndeavourOS, it grabbed my attention. It’s not the American spelling, I thought, but the British. So as a hommage to my former country, I chose HMS_Endeavour as the username in this forum.

My daily driver is a fully loaded 27" iMac for web work, and my wife was always content with Windows. But, one evening, Micro$haft (as I call them) decided to upgrade her computer, even though I have updates disabled. The next thing we know Edge browser is baked in and the restore history is empty. After that, we decided to say goodbye to Windows, permanently and I set about giving her a quasi-Windows experience in Linux.

I had always had Knoppix, Arch, Ubuntu, Kali etc, on VirtualBoxes for years, but decided to put Ubuntu on for ease of use, and found theming that came close to Windows. It didn’t take long to realize Canonical was trying testing a business model that takes control away from users and bakes in bloat that is not easy to remove.

I decided to distrohop to Manjaro only because it was fast to set up and gave most of what my wife needed. But even with xfce it was resource heavy for this aging laptop.

Then I found EndeavourOS on Stephen’s Tech Talks on YouTube and it looks like the closest thing to a vanilla Arch experience, without it actually being Arch. Endeavour let me choose btrfs in Calamares, so I have snapshots on the grub menu with TimeShift, and it works well on the latest Gnome with Evolution mail, and using a fraction of the resources of previous distros.

This seems to be a very friendly and helpful forum, so this is an encouraging sign for a fairly recent distro. For now I have much to learn from you all. But if my experience and knowledge picked up along the way, can help and encourage other members, then that would be a good way to give back to a profession that has served our family well for over three decades.

–Michael

10 Likes

Hi Michael, welcome to the EOS community

Bienvenue :purple_heart:

1 Like

@HMS_Endeavour

Thanks for giving EndeavourOS a try, and welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your time here.

Pudge

1 Like

Welcome! Cool story and welcome to life without Microsoft.

Although you can still use the edge browser if you prefer.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum!

1 Like

Welcome @HMS_Endeavour

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @HMS_Endeavour :partying_face: :tada: :balloon: :enos_flag:

1 Like

You have sailed to the right port @HMS_Endeavour.
Welcome!

1 Like

welcome and enjoy your stay here

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! :enos_flag:And btw Ti punch :tumbler_glass: is my summertime favorite.

1 Like

Welcome aboard, in this great community, have fun! In the past, I also switched from one distribution to another, but now I’ve docked at EOS, which is quite stable despite the rolling release model, thanks to careful development

1 Like

Welcome mate, hope you enjoy your experience. I used to switch distros constantly but have been comfortably seated here for a while now.

1 Like

But even with xfce Manjaro was resource heavy for this aging laptop.

There is certainly somerhing wrong here :smile:

Hmm, so could that have been xfce or Manjaro? :sweat_smile:

Thankyou, for so many gifts!! :joy:

Thank you @smokey Michael. I may just dock permanently at EOS. It has everything I have been looking for in a rolling release and has such a hospitable forum.

–Michael

1 Like

You’re welcome, the forum for this distro is the main reason I have stuck with it I think

1 Like

Welcome to the community :beers:

1 Like

Thank you @ramblinwreck. I am already feeling very warmly welcomed :grin: