Fstab automount and permissions confusion

The problem I have with ntfs is that it sets the executable bit on all files. Glad you got it working.
vfat is also known as fat32. :slight_smile:

Call me old school, but for shared drives between Windows and Linux, I still prefer fat32 (the old reliable).

2 Likes

I guess that’s possible? Switching away from exfat is what fixed it…but searching fuse-exfat with yay yields me only exfat-utils as a result which confilcts with exfatprogs which is already installed. Based on my googling, exfatprogs should be the more robust of the two already? Correct me if I’m wrong :slightly_smiling_face:

You are probably right. I just threw it out there as a maybe?

Edit: Yes it is already installed on EOS.

exfatprogs is the new exfat utility. exfat-utils has not been updated since July 2020.

1 Like

See I said i wasn’t an expert. :laughing:

1 Like

Just for an f.y.i. the user option allows users to mount the drive, not write to it. Specifying the uid and gid should make the exfat drive mount as writable by a user:

user,noatime,rw,exec,uid=1000,gid=1000

1000 is the typical uid and gid of the first user created upon installation of most Linux systems.

2 Likes

I need to set this aside for tonight, but I will try this suggestion, as well as vfat (now that I know it’s another name for fat32 :wink:) tomorrow and report back. Thanks so much!

1 Like

Also, f.y.i., vfat and fat32 are really very different things in Windows, but most Linux utilities treat them as the same. :stuck_out_tongue:

I was being lazy when I equated them, but since since most Linux formatting and partitioning tools use the terms almost interchangeably, I have become sloppy in my language as well sometimes.

user,noatime,rw,exec,uid=1000,gid=1000

This made exfat work as expected! Thanks again!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.