Freshness of the release on the 15th?

Thank you.

Lawrence

I was wondering any of you guys have looked at the Install process Arch labs uses. It is very slick and polished. I like it a lot. They have 8 different desktops and you pick what apps you want to install. Just comparing it to many other Arch installers it is very good.

1 Like

Personally I like that one too, I actually have my doubts if the rest of the community will accept it.

I’m just curious as to why? It seems to work extremely well.

I agree, but a lot of members are expecting the GUI approach that Cnchi offered.

Personally i like this one as i have tried most and they don’t compare. What matters is that it works. Hopefully the GUI option will work as well.

3 Likes

On the topic of “freshness” of the ISO, will it include systemd 242.32-3 that released 5 days ago? Just got a Ryzen 3000 CPU and my distro choices are quite limited until the motherboard vendors release the new BIOS to fix the rdrand issue.

I already have it but i already had it installed a day or so ago. Will the new Ryzen not boot on an older systemd?

They’ll boot with older systemd as long as it’s with an older kernel. The problem is I have an Intel AX200 wifi card which needs kernel 5.1. Luckily new Endeavour ISO includes the latest systemd and all went well.

I believe it’s the same issue keeping Destiny 2 from running with Windows users. AMD gave a new BIOS to motherboard vendors to fix the issue but who knows when they’ll release it.

This is not the case for me, I did not install the beta but I always do manual partitioning in Calamares and it worked as well here as with Manjaro’s install.

1 Like

installed on an older, different computer and was able to manually select existing partitions from within Calamares and had a successful install. so… whatever issue there is, was incompatibility with my first, particular model (i5675) of computer
My apology for the time you took responding to me over my individual issue.

addendum
Successful install of July 15 Stable by means of using the ISO burned on to a DVD.

I think that is the wrong approach Calaramas is not a good choice for a installer And the net installer is even worse to over complicated in design and forever needing maintenance.
I was talking to a dev of a Arch spin Deep plasma i noticed he uses the pacbang offline installer As i was a partner with my Friend Carl Duff and we released 2 arch installers one architect arch installer, not to be associated with Manjaro fork. and a offline pacbang installer, they are both untouched for 4 years all that was needed to use the pacbang installer work was to refresh the package list as it was written correctly in the 1st place.
Endeavor should not try to imitate others it should concentrate on being its own distro,
We have one Manjaro we don’t need another.
Manjaro makes simple things hard to maintain like kernels, GPU drivers what is hard about sudo pacman -Sy nvidia, sudo pacman -Sy linux for goodness sake and that could be turned into a alias for pacman.

Just remember Linux is not windows
Arch is for experienced users and new users that are willing to learn and read, is that so hard even in this day and age no its not.
Arch needs very little user input its simple to use even installing the Arch way is simple.
Adding a installer that embraces the Arch way but using a installer is the way to go simple for the user and to maintain.

I completely understand your opinion and we are not trying to imitate other distro’s, but this distro is built around the former Antergos community and we’re trying to give them for the net installer the same experience they were used to in Antergos.

4 Likes

Calamares is a great installer. It might not be suitable for a net install, but that’s not what it was designed for. As an offline installer it’s simple and brilliant.

So after complaining then insisting you want a network install.
Now you are happy with a offline install as in your eyes its brilliant.:lying_face:
come on make your mind up is it net or is it offline. Lol
Seriously you should never need to install again.

Not what I said at all. You are mixing up two things, which would be very difficult to do if you read anything about the plans for installers.

Calamers is also a net installer has been for a couple of years but fails at the same 92-95% of the install like the offline version but more so. Where a real ncurses net installer is as easy and never fails.
But like everything each to their own

Once upon a time long ago, there was a ncurses installer for Archlinux, almost the same as Debian had one at the time …
But then one day, Archlinux just decided to stop offering a graphical installer …
that made some User unhappy, and split the community in half. One day many many years Later, all this was just a fairy tale from days gone by …

Why should I type or copy commands by hand to do the same thing that a thousand others do? Computers are there to make the job easier. Why should the technology that exists not be used to make the installation easier, otherwise I can also take Linux from Scratch …

There is much to learn on how you can use the system to serve your needs.
That’s what an Operating System is for: to use the system.

The system is fresh as Archlinux is in that very moment when you go to install it.

–closing–

4 Likes