Fresh Install - Newbie questions

Good day to the community.

Just new to EndeavourOS and arch in general.

Fresh install and almost everything is working fine except conky. I installed conky and conky-manager and when i am trying to view a conky the appearance is like the above screenshot.

Can someone guide me what i need to fix/install ? Thank you.
Uploading: DeepinScreenshot_select-area_20220413013722.png…

welcom to the EOS community.

in which folder are your conky config files?

from the wiki:

Configuration

The configuration file can be located in one of the following paths (the first one found will be used):

• ~/.config/conky/conky.conf
  • ~/.conkyrc
  • /etc/conky/conky.conf

If none of these files exist, conky will use the default built-in configuration, which you can print out with:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/conky

1 Like

Did you install Conky on DeepinDE?

Not sure Deepin is going to work brilliantly anyway…

2 Likes

pycrk yes there the conky.conf is inside ~/.config/conky path.

For some weird reason im trying to install conky-lua-nv from AUR with yay and im getting this error:

In file included from /usr/include/signal.h:328,
                 from /home/ozaki/.cache/yay/conky-lua-nv/src/conky-1.12.2/tests/catch2/catch.hpp:5730,
                 from /home/ozaki/.cache/yay/conky-lua-nv/src/conky-1.12.2/tests/test-common.cc:32:
/home/ozaki/.cache/yay/conky-lua-nv/src/conky-1.12.2/tests/catch2/catch.hpp:8351:14: error: call to non-‘constexpr’ function ‘long int sysconf(int)’
 8351 |     32768 >= MINSIGSTKSZ ? 32768 : MINSIGSTKSZ;
      |              ^~~~~~~~~~~
In file included from /usr/include/bits/sigstksz.h:24,
                 from /usr/include/signal.h:328,
                 from /home/ozaki/.cache/yay/conky-lua-nv/src/conky-1.12.2/tests/catch2/catch.hpp:5730,
                 from /home/ozaki/.cache/yay/conky-lua-nv/src/conky-1.12.2/tests/test-common.cc:32:
/usr/include/unistd.h:640:17: note: ‘long int sysconf(int)’ declared here
  640 | extern long int sysconf (int __name) __THROW;
      |                 ^~~~~~~
In file included from /home/ozaki/.cache/yay/conky-lua-nv/src/conky-1.12.2/tests/test-common.cc:32:
/home/ozaki/.cache/yay/conky-lua-nv/src/conky-1.12.2/tests/catch2/catch.hpp:8409:41: error: size of array ‘altStackMem’ is not an integral constant-expression
 8409 | char FatalConditionHandler::altStackMem[sigStackSize] = {};
      |                                         ^~~~~~~~~~~~
make[2]: *** [tests/CMakeFiles/test-conky.dir/build.make:76: tests/CMakeFiles/test-conky.dir/test-common.cc.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:1253: tests/CMakeFiles/test-conky.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:166: all] Error 2
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().
    Aborting...
 -> error making: conky-lua-nv

No jonathon im on XFCE, i just used deeping-screenshot tool.

Welcome to the :enos: forums.

If you have installed conky why are you trying to install it again?

If you already have it in the system conky-lua-nv will not install and it will abort. Because conky-lua-nv is just conky with Lua and NVIDIA support.

When you try to preview a conky theme through conky manager the preview window appears like that. It’s not a bug to fix. You need to start conky by just entering conky in the terminal or making a .desktop file and using that to auto-launch conky at log on. You can use read how to do it here.

Also, make sure to make it run in the background as mentioned under the auto-launch part in the link I posted above. Once you get conky running you can use the manager to switch between themes and it should look like the below screenshot.

2 Likes

@s4ndm4n thanks for replying.

I did some settings to the config file and this is how my window appears now:

Im using conky-manager to manage conkys and not manual.

My path for conkys is: ~/.conky and not ~/.config/conky

I tried conky-manager years ago and just found it to complicate things without advantages - although YMMV. I suggest finding conkys you wish to try, and just using the conky -c path/to/conkyfile & construction to run things until you have it as wanted. I have a whole alternative to conky -manager built with yad for my stuff, but it isn’t ready for distribution(!) because it also uses and assumes conkywx is present…

If you have a conky that you want, and it won’t work - we have people here that can help (including me - look through Share your desktop thread for examples) - but make you have TIME to get things as you want them - conky can be a huge time sink!