FOSS Router Distro

I love RPi. Used to tinker with them a lot before!

3 Likes

I do not know if you like pictures, but here are some of them:

4 Likes

20201007_145234 20201007_145240

:smile:

3 Likes

Interesting, but Iā€™ll stick tp my sturdy old Linksys 1900 ACS (flashed with OpenWRT), and a PiHole running on a Raspberry Zero, for now. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wow, itā€™s like Christmasā€¦I go to sleep and then thereā€™s all these reply Gifts to unwrap! :smiley:

So all you Swedes do a lot of networking (maybe sharing borders with Russia will stir that up?), as I found this page helpful too: https://teklager.se/en/best-free-linux-router-firewall-software-2019/

And as the hardware Iā€™ve got will apparently not work properly with the BSDs Iā€™ll go with IPFire, and let you guys know how I get on.

The hardware is a bit of an edge case; a headless(decapitated) Toshiba i7 with 10GB Ram, and 120GB SSD, with the naturally single ethernet port running a Realtek chip (I think). So I got a TP-link UE300 USB Network adapter to go with it for the second port. Using such a computer has the advantage that the battery acts as a UPS in power outages, which do occur here frequently, but for short amounts of time.

3 Likes

Screenshot from 2020-10-08 13-18-42 IMG20201008132656

2 Likes

^^ IPFire in actionā€¦interesting to see what countries are hitting our firewall!
And the hardware itself. The white dongle at left is the TP-UE300 USB. Above that is the Qualcomm ethernet. I love recycling old otherwise useless hardware!

2 Likes

And FYI for anyone else considering IPFire; I ran into an issue with the DNS, where it wouldnā€™t work with my ISPā€™s provided ones, but thatā€™s okay with me, because I use OpenDNS.
Screenshot from 2020-10-08 13-41-28

Strange, maybe your ISP only accepts DNS over UDP?
Usually DNS is over UDP, however sometimes it uses TCP tooā€¦

Yeh, it seems to be a IPFIRE issue: https://community.ipfire.org/t/dns-status-broken/2080/10
I tried with UDP first (itā€™s default), then TCP. The ISPā€™s DNS wonā€™t workā€¦but that is literally a feature, not a bug, as I want to force my children through the OpenDNS servers.

Yes, itā€™s important, nowadays Internet can be dangerous for kids.
Can you disable DNSSEC in IPFIRE? According to those logs it seems that itā€™s DNSSEC

Screenshot from 2020-10-08 13-51-38
It would seem so.

1 Like

I guess if you disable, your ISP DNS would work, however you wonā€™t be able to double check if the DNS responses you are receiving are indeed non alteredā€¦

2 Likes