Force Cinnamon to Use Xorg.conf

Hello! I wanted to know, how I can force Cinnamon to use Xorg.conf for my multi-monitor setup. I use nvidia-settings to setup my xorg.conf file. On Plasma, it is quite easy. I just disable K-Screen. On Cinnamon, there was an option to disable the xrandr plugin in the Autostart. It is no longer there.

In Cinnamon, the display settings are typically managed by the ā€œcinnamon-settings-daemonā€ process, which uses xrandr for screen configuration. If you want to force Cinnamon to use your custom xorg.conf file for your multi-monitor setup, you can try the following steps:

1. Disable Cinnamon Settings Daemon:
    You can try disabling the Cinnamon Settings Daemon and rely on your custom xorg.conf file.

Open a terminal and run:

cinnamon-settings-daemon --replace --no-daemon

This command will replace the running cinnamon-settings-daemon with a new instance, and the --no-daemon flag will keep it running in the foreground.

2. Autostart Script:
    Create a script to run the cinnamon-settings-daemon with the --no-daemon option and place it in your autostart directory.

Create a script, for example, custom_cinnamon_settings.sh:

#!/bin/bash
    cinnamon-settings-daemon --replace --no-daemon

Make it executable:

chmod +x custom_cinnamon_settings.sh

Move the script to the autostart directory:

mv custom_cinnamon_settings.sh ~/.config/autostart/

The autostart directory may be different depending on your setup. You can also check ~/.config/autostart/ or /etc/xdg/autostart/ for system-wide autostart scripts.

This script will replace the default cinnamon-settings-daemon with your custom one at startup.

3. Update MATE Configuration:
    Cinnamon is based on the MATE desktop environment, and sometimes the settings daemon may be shared. You can try updating the MATE configuration as well.

Create or edit ~/.config/mate-session-manager/session-properties:

[Desktop Entry]
    Name=Custom Cinnamon Settings
    Exec=/path/to/custom_cinnamon_settings.sh
    Type=Application

Replace /path/to/custom_cinnamon_settings.sh with the actual path to your script.

Reboot or log out and log back in to see if the changes take effect.

Remember that forcing Cinnamon to use a custom xorg.conf might have some side effects, and itā€™s recommended to have a backup or a way to revert the changes in case something goes wrong. Additionally, consider checking the Cinnamon and NVIDIA forums for any updates or community-driven solutions related to this specific issue.

1 Like

Thank you, sir. I am amazed that you gave this reply. I asked this on the official Linux Mint forums and they didnā€™t help me the way you did.

Even that arch wiki hasnā€™t been updated. It still asks the users to use the old disable cinnamon-settings-deamon-xrandr trick to get Cinnamon to respect xorg.

I am very curious to hear how did you find this solution. it isnā€™t even provided by Mint.

1 Like

Too many hours spent in front of my screen.

If it solved your issue, please mark the post as ā€˜solvedā€™.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.