For / on btrfs, what should the fsck order be set to in fstab?

The installer has set it to 1 for subvolume @ (root) and to 2 for subvolume @home. According to Arch Wiki:

If the root file system is btrfs or :XFS, the fsck order should be set to 0 instead of 1. See fsck.btrfs(8) and fsck.xfs(8).

:arrow_right: Fstab

Should I change my fstab accordingly? And should the order be 0 for both volumes?

I’m pretty sure you don’t want to run fsck at boot, btrfs is fairly self healing. I would set it to zero for both volumes in fstab.

1 Like

This is my fstab that is set up via @2000 wiki tutorial

[ricklinux@eos-kde ~]$ cat /etc/fstab

/etc/fstab: static file system information.

Use ‘blkid’ to print the universally unique identifier for a device; this may

be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices that works even if

disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).

UUID=4372-3FD3 /boot/efi vfat umask=0077 0 2
UUID=688946e2-8fab-47b5-8b0c-99cc3154c517 / btrfs subvol=@,defaults,noatime,space_cache,autodefrag,compress=zstd,compress=zstd 0 0
UUID=688946e2-8fab-47b5-8b0c-99cc3154c517 /home btrfs subvol=@home,defaults,noatime,space_cache,autodefrag,compress=zstd,compress=zstd 0 0
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults,noatime,mode=1777 0 0
UUID=688946e2-8fab-47b5-8b0c-99cc3154c517 /var/cache/pacman/pkg btrfs subvol=@var-cache-pacman-pkg,defaults,noatime,space_cache,autodefrag,compress=zstd,compress=zstd 0 0

/dev/sda2 /swap btrfs subvol=@swap,defaults,compress=no 0 0
/swap/swapfile none swap defaults 0 0

Edit: This is non encrypted install.

2 Likes

For XFS it does not make a difference because the fsck.xfs script is not doing anything when called during boot.

1 Like

Thanks @Leon for the reply and the link!

I read though the relevant parts for this issue and changed the values to 0 for both volumes.
I was a bit confounded due to the fact that those numbers were set by the installer. So I guess it is a Calamares thing.

Thanks @ricklinux for posting the content of your fstab! Looks like you got those values set properly. I should be reviewing the Wiki more often.

@mbod

Thanks for the info! I will keep it in mind if I’ll be using XFS in the future.

have-a-nise-weekend

1 Like