Flagged Out Of Date AUR Packages: brave-bin

Awesome! This is how the update process actually looks

$ cd .mozilla/firefox/abe19gup.default-release/
[home@home-system abe19gup.default-release]$ ./updater.sh 

############################################################################
                ####                                                                    ####
                ####                          arkenfox user.js                          ####
                ####       Hardening the Privacy and Security Settings of Firefox       ####
                ####           Maintained by @Thorin-Oakenpants and @earthlng           ####
                ####            Updater for macOS and Linux by @overdodactyl            ####
                ####                                                                    ####
                ############################################################################

Documentation for this script is available here: https://github.com/arkenfox/user.js/wiki/3.3-Updater-Scripts

Please observe the following information:
    Firefox profile:  /home/home/.mozilla/firefox/abe19gup.default-release
    Available online: * version 91-alpha
    Currently using:  * version 90

This script will update to the latest user.js file and append any custom configurations from user-overrides.js. Continue Y/N? 
y

Status: user.js has been backed up and replaced with the latest version!
Warning: Could not find override file: user-overrides.js

I will write back after 1 week to confirm if I am satisfied with arkenfox.
Thanks a lot.

Some striking differences between LibreWolf & Firefox with arkenfox which I found within minutes of using arkenfox. Firefox with arkenfox allows login credentials to be saved & by default the clear cookies feature in not enabled. LibreWolf doesn’t allow saving of logins & it clears all cookies on exit so LibreWolf is much more restrictive.

I think once you spend time with them you will find that they are just different. There are other ways in which arkenfox is going to be more restrictive.

Also, if you are just using the Arkenfox profile “as-is” you are completely missing the point. The intention is that you would go through the settings and change it to meet your preferences.

1 Like

Okay I will try and learn how to tweak it. I guess the comparatively less restrictive nature of Arkenfox is due to the fact that the dev thinks that if he makes it too restrictive people will avoid it like some users avoid Noscript. This is just a guess.

@dalto
I am now using Firefox with the Arkenfox user.js. Today I saw something which I have never seen before. The addon Facebook Container is showing this warning on all websites which requires a username/password. Should I take this seriously or should I just ignore what it says ?
fbprivacy

I have been seeing this also since a couple of days ago. I guess it must have been introduced since an update to Facebook Container for “marketing” Firefox Relay.

On the topic of Brave, there is a nightly version you can install, which should always be up to date: brave-bin-nightly IIRC.

I use Brave on my work Win10 machine, because I don’t really care about privacy there given it’s all work-related guff.

FF on my Linux & home Win10 installs though :+1:

@pebcak @Sar
After reading that warning I got scared & I have taken a different approach. No Facebook on Firefox/Arkenfox. I have installed Chromium specifically for Facebook. Since there is absolutely zero privacy in Facebook anyway even if Chromium is a bad choice from a privacy angle it doesn’t make any difference.

Honestly although I haven’t used EndeavourOS for a long time I am a little disappointed with AUR. People submit packages but the quality of maintenance is not impressive. So I want to avoid installing any web browser from AUR.