[fixed] lsb-release should set the distro codename

just had a nice discussion with folks on Telegram, talking about how lsb_release on EOS doesn’t set the lsb codename, which breaks some automation and other tools. per the lsb docs, codename should get set:

-c, --codename     

displays codename according to distribution release. The output is a single line of text of the following format.

Codename:\t<Codename>

something like “rolling”, or the timestamp of the last pacman update, should be sufficient to keep this from breaking things.

linked from here:

lsb_release -a
LSB Version:	1.4
Distributor ID:	EndeavourOS
Description:	EndeavourOS Linux
Release:	rolling
Codename:	n/a

so it looks legit to me to add a codename…

i was wondering why arch is still using version 1.4 ?

we do this with a hook:

-e 's|^DISTRIB_CODENAME=.*$|DISTRIB_CODENAME=rolling|' \

i do commit this.
https://github.com/killajoe/PKGBUILDS/commit/bb0afa5127c5f0dfe4abb9786cf72acc66120fdf
and will start merging but i need to wait for @manuel to confirm.

1 Like

After a brief look, LGTM. :+1:

I think ideally lsb-release would be an EnOS-specific package then you don’t need to worry about hooks for this, but that’s difficult when directly using the Arch repos (unless the EnOS repo is included as a higher priority than the Arch repos in pacman.conf).

1 Like

Merged and released.

1 Like

While I always found it a bit undignified to use a pacman hook to run a sed command that replaces “Arch Linux” with “EndeavourOS” every time lsb-release is updated, I think this is the simplest solution which works very reliably. KISS is a good philosophy to follow.

1 Like

We were trying and thinking about the most simple solution, and the hook wins…
Also, we have some other hooks running bundled as eos-hooks so not something we need to maintain on top of other stuff.

2 Likes

i would say “unterwürfig” :beers:

1 Like

2021-02-09_11-25

3 Likes

Yeah ! It works ! :smiley:

Screenshot_20210209_151147

1 Like

“rolling rolling rolling!”

5 Likes