This is an issue has been bugging me to no end. Whenever I open a website with multimedia, say a YouTube video, Spotify, links with video, etc. Firefox becomes unresponsive for a few seconds. The few times that it doesn’t, it causes any previously opened media to buffer e.g. having a YouTube video playing while opening another video causes both to go into buffering. Some quick points:
- I’m not using the flatpak version. I first installed the ESR version from AUR, then switched to the firefox package from pacman
- I tried running Firefox in Safe Mode
- I tried following the tips at https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/firefox#Firefox_startup_takes_very_long to speed up the browser. I should note Firefox takes a bit to launch as well.
- Chromium does not present any issues handling multimedia whatsoever
- if it matters, I’m on a desktop PC connected to my wireless network through a Wi-Fi dongle. I had to install the driver from https://github.com/aircrack-ng/rtl8812au
- I’m using KDE for Endeavour
I appreciate any help. Thank you in advance.
I suggest posting some more hardware infos and perhaps some logs, here is some info how to do this:
Its definitely not a problem I have with firefox, but everyone has different hardware. I don’t know if the proprietary wifi dongle could be a problem. Posting hardware will also reveal your model… if thats the right driver, did you try via AUR?
Here is my hardware information
and here are different logs compiled via the log tool
I will try removing the driver and using the AUR one, although I must say I have no issues whatsoever in any other application.
There might be a setting in Firefox, I have seen a couple of forum posts with other issues. But this is out of my field of knowledge.
Reporting back with my findings. I uninstalled the previous driver, updated my system and installed one of the drivers from the AUR. No working Wi-Fi interface.
After doing some probing, turns out I was using the wrong driver for the RTL8812au chipset, instead of the RTL8821au on my dongle. I installed the correct driver from AUR; lo and behold, Firefox runs much better now. I can open as many YouTube tabs without hanging or buffering! I’m surprised because, like I mentioned, no other program or network function showed any problems whatsoever.
Thank you @Zircon34, I wouldn’t have thought of it, if not for your suggestion.
That’s great, I kind of suspected it could be that. In general better idea to install via AUR.
I am not sure the exact cause in Firefox, but I guess the problem is solved then. My suggestions is to try this a bit, if it worked you can mark the thread as solved with the answer that fixed it so it can easily be found for the next user.
This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.