Firefox slowdown and multiple audio instances

I’ve noticed a slow down in Firefox (75.0-1). After using Reddit for several minutes, scrolling gets slower and slower. When I check the kmix widget in the panel I see multiple instances of the sound stream(?). They get started and never go away until I close the Reddit window or close Firefox. This doesn’t happen when using Chromium. I’m using kde/plasma and update daily. Has anyone else noticed this Firefox behavior?
firefox_audio_a

IF I remember correctly, Firefox can generate one audio stream per open tab with audio in it.
However in this case it seems like Firefox / kmix opens an audio steam for anything you scroll over in Reddit that has one. Never seen it before, but it seems to be the explanation.

1 Like

Are the audio streams all from the same page?

@CMarch
I went on the Reddit page and it does the same thing on KDE on my system but i don’t find the scrolling gets any slower. As soon as you close the web page they are gone. I scrolled the page right to the bottom and obviously it is never ending like Facebook so i’m not sure how many instances it will show but i assume it will just be like the web page.

Screenshot_20200427_144355

1 Like

Seems KDE specific (just tried it in Xfce and I just get the one Firefox entry per tab despite scrolling Reddit for several minutes), so not sure if it’s Plasma or Firefox that is the culprit?

I never tried continuous scrolling until Reddit complains “you have reached the end of the Internet” :grinning: But if I read a page/screen-full hit the spacebar for a new page, there is a noticeable delay after a while and it gets worse until I close the tab or close Firefox.

I didn’t really find too much of a problem scrolling but then again i have pretty high end system and Fibre Optic Internet to computer. But i know exactly what you are saying as Facebook is the same or worse and a lot of these video’s and ads and stuff do link back to Facebook. So it’s not just the audio that is the issue it’s the stuff going on in the background in my opinion. But i did try chromium and it doesn’t do that and i also went into the config settings of Firefox but it didn’t make any difference changing some of the settings. It doesn’t do it on Xfce as @Beardedgeek72 has said because i tried that too. So i’m not sure how it’s all integrated into kde. I even tried the KDE plugin for Firefox and same thing.

1 Like

Found this same problem mentioned on the Manjaro site:
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/plasma-is-great/31081/2510?u=cmarch

1 Like

It seems to be a problem on Firefox even on Windows 10 and i tried a lot of the so called fixes in about:config on Firefox and there was no difference for me. I am going to look at my Windows and check also.

1 Like

@CMarch
On Windows 10 Pro the most i get is two instances of the audio in volume mixer and i scrolled the whole page.

Screenshot (1)

Edit: There is always one instance as soon as you open Firefox. I was able to get about 3 on Windows but not bad like on KDE.