Firefox 98 released

Starting Firefox with MOZ_DISABLE_RDD_SANDBOX=1 set seems to do the trick for now. At least everything seems to work. The bug needs to be fixed, though.

Hm, nice, but keep in mind that option is a security riskā€¦

Yeah, I just decided to just downgrade. Not really worth it to run it without RDD.

1 Like

I have no problems but not using wayland.

Iā€™m very enthusiastic about VA-API support myself, but hardware accelerated video is still considered unstable and not ready for general use. Thatā€™s why itā€™s hidden behind certain flags and Mozilla doesnā€™t have a problem to release a new FF version breaking that ā€œfeatureā€, because it only affects user who deliberately activated that experimental functionality themself.

Itā€™s fun to tinker with it and we should help each other out, but it should be important to communicate the still experimental nature and manage expectations accordingly.

4 Likes

Youā€™re better off with an up-to-date browser without hardware video acceleration than using something with known security vulnerabilities.

Most videos can also be played using mpv (and its various front-ends, like Celluloid) if you have yt-dlp installed with a straightforward

mpv https://etc.etc.site/video/path.whatever

This gives you full hardware acceleration as well as all the other niceties like frame interpolation and upscaling.

2 Likes

Just got v98 with tonightā€™s update

So if I upgrade to Windows 98, will this mean that I can go at 196? :crazy_face:

1 Like

In theory, yes. In practice Iā€™m just visiting four trusted sites on this computer from which two benefit greatly by having hardware acceleration. mpv is not really an option for those sites either. I donā€™t see myself being vulnerable just because I use one version below the current.

Thanks for sharing.

Iā€™m using the Official Repository Package of Firefox 98. Any opinions on whether it is better to use the Flatpak package. Any disadvantages for someone who is using Wayland or wants hardware acceleration?

If you are a KeepassXC user, it might get tough. Wayland blocks the Auto-type feature and the flatpak blocks the keepassxc browser extension from connecting to the database. So youā€™re back to copy&paste :wink:

Unfortunately thatā€™s not how security vulnerabilities work:

FIrefox 98 does not even launch on my RPi 4b 4 GB RAM Running 64 Bit OS KDE Plasma.

I had to downgrade to Firefox 97.0.2. When FF 97 launched, it complained about creating a new user profile. Doing so removed all my settings, bookmarks, etc. I ended up with a blank canvas. What a pain!

Pudge

UPDATE:
Firefox 98.0-1 works on a armv7h 32 bit OS just fine, at least for what I do with it.

Firefox 98.0.1 will not launch on a aarch64 64 bit OS. One needs to downgrade to 97.0.2-1 from
/var/cache/pacman/pkg
using pacman -U

For a new RPi 4 64 Bit install, you can download firefox-97.0.2-1 from my personal website

I had the same thing happen when i downgraded.

1 Like

If that happens, the following terminal command will help Firefox accept the existing profile of the higher version:

firefox --allow-downgrade
2 Likes

The upstream binary or the package from ALARM?

If itā€™s ALARM, it could be a build chain failure (e.g. it was built against the wrong glibc version).

1 Like

It is from the ALARM aarch64 repository.

Does one run this command before downgrading or after?

Pudge

After downgrading or installing the older version, start the Fox with this command and the old profile will be applied. Delete the empty newly created profile beforehand!

1 Like

It seems that something changed on how files are downloaded. Before the update, if I wanted to read a pdf from an online search, I chose open with Firefox (and it was saved in temp folder or something). Now it opens in a Firefox tab, but it downloads it to my Downloads folder as well.

Do you know a way to change that as it was before?

P.S.: I hate it when they make such unnecessary changes.

must be your settings ā€¦ like you set to download everytime into Download folder instead of ask for itā€¦