FINALLY šŸ¤©

It should be obvious why, but okay, Iā€™ll discuss it in some detail, since you askedā€¦

The toggle switch is the stupidest GUI design ever. It is not functional, you donā€™t even know which way it is on, unless it changes colour. But if it changes colour, why bother with the switch? It also takes too much space on screen.

Also, itā€™s rounded. Itā€™s the whole windows XP Fisher-Price look. It also reminds me of Apple. It makes your desktop look like a crappy web-page, created using the blandest template out there.

Rounded GUI widgets are bland, inoffensive, and I find them rather insulting, like a rubber-padded cell of a mental asylum. Soyence has ā€œprovedā€ that rounded widgets are perceived as friendlier by newbies. It is patronising. My computer is not my friend, it is a machine that does my bidding. The rounded GUI sends the message: ā€œwe know computers are complicated and that you are an idiot, but donā€™t worry, we have things in control, just sit back, relax, and consume contentā€. And, unfortunately, itā€™s not a wrong message, for majority of people.

Rectangular GUI, with sharp corners is far superior. It does not require any stupid anti-aliasing to display properly, or any curve rasterising algorithms. It basically requires a double for loop to draw. How awesome is that? Minimalism, simplicity, usability, extensibility through editing the source code. Perfection.

3 Likes

OH NO!!!
STOP USING THOSE SHARP SQUARE ONES - YOU CAN CUT YOURSELF!!!111

honka_animated-128px-39

3 Likes

edgy

edgy

edgy 2
^ Ironically, that one has rounded corners.

2 Likes

Well look at that FROGGEā€¦soā€¦edgy :rofl:

P.S. Btw :frog: doesnā€™t have a lot of corners usually tooā€¦ :rofl:

1 Like

Verily, a FROGGE biĆ¾ a Beaste, not Machine ā€“ alle Ć¾ingen according to Ć¾eire Nature.

2 Likes

Something thatā€™s obvious to you isnā€™t obvious to everybody.

Thatā€™s fair. I agree with you on this.

I canā€™t comment any further, really, since what you wrote is a matter of taste and Iā€™m not exactly good at doing that. I personally just find such elements harmless.

2 Likes

Itā€™s not just taste. There are objective reasons why rectangular GUI elements are superior, and Iā€™ve listed some of them above. (Also, polling for mouse events, I forgot to mention that. What does the soyftware do when the user clicks outside the buttonā€™s rounded corners, but within the bounding rectangle of the button? Yes, itā€™s a mess.)

The appearance is subjective, of course, a matter of taste. But when visual appearance is elevated above a function of something, even to a detriment thereof, this has to be done in order to serve a higher, nobler purpose than that function. Does it do so in a rounded button? No, it most certainly does not.

1 Like

Then, I guess Iā€™m one of those smooth brains dudes you keep talking and shunning about.

I donā€™t even know how to disagree with you on that, in a way that it wouldnā€™t prove your point. :rofl:

Iā€™ll just say that Iā€™ve never shunned a person based on their (lack of) intelligence.

4 Likes

I have. Hell, I do it almost daily :rofl:.

7 Likes

Iā€™m just incredibly grateful I donā€™t have to deal with the ongoing BS that is Microsoftā€™s frankenstein of an ad-platformā€¦ While I appreciate we need the right tool for the right job, once I walk through my door and Iā€™m home, the BS ends.

3 Likes

F-me this way too popular and easy! I must swich to openbsd :laughing:

3 Likes