Finally Dropping Google: Need help syncing appls/calendars

A little over a year ago I started moving away from Google. I started using Mailbox.org and also setup my own server. The server originally hosted Nextcloud, but I have since moved away from that in favor of basic file storage. All photos sync to the sever via SMBsync2, which seems to be working well.

At this point I am trying to streamline my mail, calendar, and documents as I have been using multiple solutions.

I plan to stick with Mailbox.org for mail and calendar as well. I am using k-9 for mail on android which works fine. But need a good open source calendar app. Also need a good method for accessing the calendar on my laptop (Endeavour Gnome).

Also need a recommendation for documents. I am still hesitant to put my server online. But would like a way to sync backup the files from my phone/computer when I connect to my home network again (I think I can use SMBsync for this on the phone), but need a good option for the laptop.

So this is what I need

calendar- open source option for android and gnome (Caldav I think)
Documents- way to view and sync to home sever android and gnome

Would appreciate your recommendations!

5 Likes

Nextcloud ?
You need a provider for syncing or use your own server.

Thunderbird + Lightning

Syncthing.

3 Likes

Etesync does a great job for me syncing my contacts & calendar securely.

1 Like

I am using Nextcloud with a free account on Disroot.org (4Gb free).
I sync my calendars to Lightning, my contacts to Thunderbird with Cardbook extension, as to Android with DAVx5.
Works well for me.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for all the recommendations. With recent power outages and a few other things it took me a while to get back.

I was able to get my mailbox.org account to sync with Evolution and used a program on Android to sync with the calendar there. I will look into Syncthing and Etesync as that may fill my other need.

I do have a disroot account that I use for syncing my Joplin notes. It has worked good. My biggest concern for disroot was just wondering how long it would last, but it is still going!

I use Thunderbird which syncs to mailfence for emails/contacts/calendar. Davx(5) on my phone/tablet that syncs same contacts/calendar from mailfence.

I sync one folder on my main PC using Syncthing via wifi connection that syncs to my laptop as well. I also use it to sync photos and a document folder to/from my android devices.

1 Like

Thanks. It looks like Syncthing will be the final piece to the puzzle that allows me to tie everything together.

1 Like