Files being interpreted as directories

I’m unable to open certain files because Nemo (and Nautilus) interpret them as directories, and I’m clueless to what’s causing this. The files are on network drives and most of the content on them is interpreted fine, this issue is limited to a small subset of files, and as far as I can tell there’s no commonality between them. In the example below, all episodes within the season folder are interpreted as subdirectories, but this is not always the case. Sometimes 8/10 files are read fine but the other 2 are interpreted as directories.

What could be causing this? The files are of course not subdirectories on the NAS and other machines are able to interpret them as files. This issue only occurs on the machine with EndeavourOS.

What file systems are you using?

Could you open a terminal emulator, navigate to the directory on the NAS (with cd) and run

file "FILENAME"

of course, replacing "FILENAME" with the actual file name of one of these problematic files (make sure it is quoted, since it contains whitespace), and post the output of that command here, please?

Which file system? How do you mount them? Please share the output of : ls -al *

Adachi and Shimamura - S01E10 - Cherry Blossoms and Spring and Spring and the Moon.mkv: directory

'Adachi and Shimamura - S01E10 - Cherry Blossoms and Spring and Spring and the Moon.mkv':
ls: reading directory 'Adachi and Shimamura - S01E10 - Cherry Blossoms and Spring and Spring and the Moon.mkv': Operation not supported
total 0

Disks are NTFS and the NAS is running Linux Mint. Endeavour machine mounts the drives via cifs:

cifs x-systemd.automount,x-systemd.idle-timeout=1min,rw,uid=okita,gid=okita,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,credentials=/etc/samba/private/server.cred,iocharset=utf8,vers=2.0 0 0

You shouldn’t set file_mode=0777. That makes every file executable. Try setting it to 0666. That will give read and write.

Done, thanks. What about dir_mode?

dir_mode can be 0777 if you want everything to readable/writable by all users.