Feature request - Not installing GRUB on EFI

Hi. I love EndeavourOS, but since I also have Windows and MacOS (hackintosh) installed in my SSD, I find rEFInd much more suitable for me as bootloader.

I would like to know if it is possible to make an advanced Calamares option to install rEFInd instead of GRUB. If that is not possible, what about not installing GRUB on UEFI installation?

Thank you.

Pedro

Itā€™s very possibly the main way of installing linux, yes?, and I donā€™t think a frequently used version of install that a lot of people use will just be removed.

1 Like

If you want a feature added to Calamares best to request it upstream.

https://github.com/calamares/calamares/issues

Endeavour uses Calamares, it does not develop it.

6 Likes

I actually managed to install EndeavourOS normally. After installing, I installed rEFInd (sudo pacman -S refind), ran the command ā€œsudo refind-installā€ and then deleted /boot/efi/EFI/endeavouros folder. Solved.

1 Like

One step along the way :grin: You COULD also remove grub entirely - or just tell rEFInd to ignore the grub entry using dontscandirs option. There are lots of ways to the same end - but this is a simple oneā€¦

Hmm ā€¦so rEFInd is booting from /boot/efi then which is the vmlinuz-linux image file. Correct?

I assume it is booting from /boot - using the vmlinuz-linux file, yes. I was just pointing out other ways to hide the grubx64.efi file from being picked up as an alternate boot by rEFInd. And, if it isnā€™t being used, the grub can be removed if desired. I donā€™t bother removing it myself, as I might have to track down some pacman hooks and modify them ā€˜not to botherā€™ - and I can spare the disk space!

Iā€™m just trying to keep up trying to understand some of this stuff since i never used it before. Pacman hooks i donā€™t play much with either. :wink: Or conky!

However i am using rEFInd with triple boot on Btrfs with and without encryption and like it a lot. Biggest reason is that all the grub-mongers stay separate for each desktop and itā€™s starting with rEFInd then the grub menu.

Yeah - very logical way to handle all the complications - and keeping the grubs sensible and maintainable.

Just a beginner myself with pacman hooks - created a couple of them for update displays and suchā€¦ and modified a couple that did too much (like regenerating grubs unnecessarily).

Iā€™m not exactly sure how @2000 has this set up but each desktop install is on separate drives which really doesnā€™t matter. Maybe itā€™s the btrfs-grub? I donā€™t know but when it updates it does not see the other installs or it just doesnā€™t add them to grub? I know this because if i do a normal install it will pick it up and add it to them. As long as i stay with the Btrfs wiki setup itā€™s not doing that.

I have to assume that either it doesnā€™t run os-prober OR os-prober canā€™t see into btrfs setups. Either way, itā€™s a good thing :grin:

1 Like

I actually prefer rEFInd because it does not depend of a file inside of /boot/grub to load. I may delete all my OSes, install a new one and rEFInd will boot it as well.

I set up my rEFInd to boot macOS through OpenCore and EndeavourOS. I have an external SSD with Windows To Go if I eventually need it. To avoid Windows replacing the first one in boot order (rEFInd), I use a script: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#Windows_changes_boot_order

GRUB is the single most used boot loader on Linux.

Changing that default would most certainly create a lot of noise - not because the alternatives are bad - but because most users donā€™t know how to solve their issues ( some donā€™t know grub either ) so they search the net for solutions - and grub is the best documented boot loader - and the most feature rich loader.

E.g. adding a the option to boot from a partition with a selection of ISO - is incredibly simple using grub.

If a user has a special requirement e.g. to only boot a single encrypted system - then systemd is a far better choice than grub.

The EFI specification do not limit the number of EFI partitions (0xEF00) so adding a new EFI partition for each system is the way to ensure Windows is not rewriting your EFI partition. Only one EFI partition is ever active at one time - and this is the partition containing loader for the currently active system.

rEFInd is actually very intuitive. You just have to alter the configuration file in EFI folder and make a refind_linux.conf configuration in your /boot directory. Arch Wiki explains it very well.