Fails to create ext4 partition

They spoke on Arch about Fakeraid controllers then it seems that Intel Rapid Storage is the first on the exemple list !

FakeRAID

… but are not full hardware RAID controllers with all RAID features implemented. Therefore, this type of RAID is sometimes called FakeRAID. dmraid from the official repositories, will be used to deal with these controllers. Here are some examples of FakeRAID controllers: Intel Rapid Storage, JMicron JMB36x RAID ROM, AMD RAID, ASMedia 106x, and NVIDIA MediaShield

I would love to be using FakeRAID, but I don’t have a method of disabling hardware RAID at the moment.

At this moment, do you want to use raid or you prefer to remove it ?

I would prefer to be using RAID as that means I can have a “larger” drive, but I can deal with having it be split if needed. As it stands, I think I’m limited to finding a solution involving hardware RAID.

First did you try the hook to enable your Raid ?
From your link it says to boot from a Live USB and chroot

pacman -S dmraid
vim /etc/mkinitcpio.conf # add dmraid to HOOKS
mkinitcpio -p linux

So I went through and did that, but I ran into several errors. I was able to add the hook, but everything else didn’t work right.

[liveuser@eos-2020.07.15 ~]$ pacman -S dmraid
error: you cannot perform this operation unless you are root.
[liveuser@eos-2020.07.15 ~]$ sudo pacman -S dmraid
warning: dmraid-1.0.0.rc16.3-12 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) dmraid-1.0.0.rc16.3-12

Total Download Size:   0.11 MiB
Total Installed Size:  0.32 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
:: Retrieving packages...
 dmraid-1.0.0.rc16.3-12-x86_64   113.9 KiB  2.10 MiB/s 00:00 [--------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                               [--------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                             [--------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                  [--------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                            [--------------------------------] 100%
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) reinstalling dmraid                                    [--------------------------------] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/4) Reloading system manager configuration...
(2/4) Creating temporary files...
(3/4) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(4/4) Updating linux initcpios...
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux.preset: 'default'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-linux -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-linux.img
==> ERROR: specified kernel image does not exist: `/boot/vmlinuz-linux'
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux.preset: 'fallback'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-linux -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-linux-fallback.img -S autodetect
error: command failed to execute correctly
[liveuser@eos-2020.07.15 ~]$ sudo vim /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
sudo: vim: command not found
[liveuser@eos-2020.07.15 ~]$ yay -S vim
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (2) vim-runtime-8.2.0814-3  vim-8.2.0814-3

Total Download Size:    7.92 MiB
Total Installed Size:  32.98 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
:: Retrieving packages...
 vim-runtime-8.2.0814-3-x86_64     6.3 MiB  12.1 MiB/s 00:01 [--------------------------------] 100%
 vim-8.2.0814-3-x86_64          1692.8 KiB  5.33 MiB/s 00:00 [--------------------------------] 100%
(2/2) checking keys in keyring                               [--------------------------------] 100%
(2/2) checking package integrity                             [--------------------------------] 100%
(2/2) loading package files                                  [--------------------------------] 100%
(2/2) checking for file conflicts                            [--------------------------------] 100%
:: Processing package changes...
(1/2) installing vim-runtime                                 [--------------------------------] 100%
Optional dependencies for vim-runtime
    sh: support for some tools and macros [installed]
    python: demoserver example tool [installed]
    gawk: mve tools upport [installed]
(2/2) installing vim                                         [--------------------------------] 100%
Optional dependencies for vim
    python2: Python 2 language support
    python: Python 3 language support [installed]
    ruby: Ruby language support
    lua: Lua language support
    perl: Perl language support [installed]
    tcl: Tcl language support [installed]
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/3) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(2/3) Updating icon theme caches...
(3/3) Updating the desktop file MIME type cache...
[liveuser@eos-2020.07.15 ~]$ sudo vim /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
[liveuser@eos-2020.07.15 ~]$ mkinitcpio -p linux
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux.preset: 'default'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-linux -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-linux.img
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux.preset: 'fallback'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-linux -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-linux-fallback.img -S autodetect

Do you have important data to keep on your disk or not !?

No important data at all on the drives in the RAID, in fact they’re already blank.

What happens if your rebuild the Head of your disk ?

It seems that your kernel image are not done !

I’m afraid I don’t know what a disk head is. Do you mean a partition table? I’ve tried remaking it several times. As for the kernel image, that’s not on me, I’m just using the official EndeavourOS live environment, most recent version.

Yep the partition table GPT or MBR I don’t know what you use. But do it throw the live ISO with GParted.

Is it possible to remove the raid array with mdadm? If it sees the current Raid you should be able to remove it. You have to use a command to fail it first and then you can remove it.

Is this correct?

example:

mdadm --fail /dev/md126 /dev/sda
mdadm --remove /dev/md126 /dev/sda

Edit: can you check status first?

mdadm --detail /dev/md126

Yes. After you do this in gparted prior to installation let us know if after a reboot the installer sees two drives. Select gpt do not format.

@killbotvii
I think maybe @BONK & @FLVAL may be right also to just use gparted and created a new GPT partition on each drive. Then the raid array should be gone.

@ricklinux could you check here about mdadm, it seems they use different way to erase the RAID ?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/RAID

Prepare the devices

Warning: These steps erase everything on a device, so type carefully!

If the device is being reused or re-purposed from an existing array, erase any old RAID configuration information:

# mdadm --misc --zero-superblock /dev/<drive>

or if a particular partition on a drive is to be deleted:

# mdadm --misc --zero-superblock /dev/<partition>

And here if the GPT Partition Table works :

GUID Partition Table

• After creating the partitions, their partition type GUIDs should be A19D880F-05FC-4D3B-A006-743F0F84911E (it can be assigned by selecting partition type Linux RAID in fdisk or FD00 in gdisk ).
  • If a larger disk array is employed, consider assigning filesystem labels or partition labels to make it easier to identify an individual disk later.
  • Creating partitions that are of the same size on each of the devices is recommended.

[liveuser@eos-2020.07.15 ~]$ sudo mdadm --detail /dev/md126
/dev/md126:
         Container : /dev/md/imsm0, member 0
        Raid Level : raid0
        Array Size : 250064896 (238.48 GiB 256.07 GB)
      Raid Devices : 2
     Total Devices : 2

State : clean 
    Active Devices : 2
   Working Devices : 2
    Failed Devices : 0
     Spare Devices : 0

Chunk Size : 128K

Consistency Policy : none

UUID : 7bac7a74:e69da518:77f3a853:8abb3d8d
    Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice State
       1       8        0        0      active sync   /dev/sda
       0       8       16        1      active sync   /dev/sdb

Will edit in what happens momentarily.
EDIT: answered in my next post.

@killbotvii
In gparted you can show the other drives clicking on the drop down arrow at the top right.

1 Like

I did, I selected the live ISO in gparted, that’s what he asked for. I also have good news, it looks like the installer now sees the two drives as seperate as well as as them as the RAID drive. I will note that I still cannot modify them individually in gparted.

In Gparted you are on your USB key then you meant when you click on the button top right, you don’t see your Disks ?

2020-07-20_04-22

we thought the same, I didn’t see your post sorry I was doing the screenshot to be sure with a red arrow ! :smiley:

1 Like