Failed to start Load Kernel Modules on boot after system update (nvidia)

using dkms driver package version?

extra/nvidia-dkms 515.65.01-2 [installed]

For completeness:

gfx
Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA GA104M [GeForce RTX 3070 Mobile / Max-Q] driver: nvidia
    v: 515.65.01
  Device-2: Acer Integrated Camera type: USB driver: uvcvideo
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.4 with: Xwayland v: 22.1.3 driver: X:
    loaded: nvidia unloaded: modesetting gpu: nvidia,nvidia-nvswitch
    resolution: 1920x1080~144Hz
  OpenGL: renderer: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0
    NVIDIA 515.65.01

lucky you :wink: strange indeed but it could be the issue is not for the latest cardsā€¦
and i do not see it as something directly related to the packages in focus:

nvidia-dkms: Last Updated: 2022-08-07 16:58 UTC
dkms: Last Updated: 2022-08-07 09:43 UTC

but:
linux/headers: Last Updated: 2022-08-22 08:40 UTC this is 2 days ago the average time for most users to do the updates :wink:

i have already @creatux at telegram he will send me the log later but if someone could provide the exact output from installing/reinstalling nvidia-dkms ? would be of great help!

You do not need to reboot with it and can go straight to replace it with nvidia nvidia-lts after this again to be able to boot x :wink:

Would it help if I did it? (Probably not :rofl:).

Just to pile on a little bit. I too am having this issue with the latest kernel on my laptop running a GTX 1050. I can boot into the desktop if I use the Intel dGPU. I can provide a screenshot of what happens when I try to boot using the nVidia GPU. I hate giving screenshots, but I am limited to a TTY session that does not want to connect to my wifi.

just try with prime-run some grafik test if you see some fpu no need to experiment to boot into

1 Like

The driver itself is not loading.

Even replacing the nvidia-dkms package with the nvidia package did not make a difference for me. I was still unable to boot into Plasma using the nvidia card. I have used Timeshift and reverted to my pre-update state. I will try again at a later date.

Possibly relevant information - this might be related to the latest gcc update:

3 Likes

That fixed it for me. Running the latest kernel with nvidia-dkms.

EDIT: Works with the lts and zen kernels as well.

2 Likes

should look like this and should not look like so if it fails at some point ā€¦

successful dkms building/rebuilding modules
sudo pacman -S nvidia-dkms                                                                       
[sudo] password for joekamprad: 
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Package (1)        Old Version  New Version  Net Change

extra/nvidia-dkms  515.65.01-2  515.65.01-2    0,00 MiB

Total Installed Size:  52,48 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:       0,00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] Y
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                                               [------------------------------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                                                             [------------------------------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                                                  [------------------------------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                                            [------------------------------------------------------] 100%
:: Running pre-transaction hooks...
(1/1) Remove upgraded DKMS modules
==> dkms remove --no-depmod nvidia/515.65.01 -k 5.19.3-arch1-1
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) reinstalling nvidia-dkms                                                               [------------------------------------------------------] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/5) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(2/5) Install DKMS modules
==> dkms install --no-depmod nvidia/515.65.01 -k 5.19.3-arch1-1
==> depmod 5.19.3-arch1-1
(3/5) Notifying arch-audit-gtk
(4/5) Check if user should be informed about rebooting after certain system package upgrades.
==> INFO: Reboot is recommended due to the upgrade of core system package(s).
(5/5) Checking which packages need to be rebuilt

sudo dkms status:

nvidia/515.65.01, 5.19.3-arch1-1, x86_64: installedDeprecated feature: REMAKE_INITRD
Deprecated feature: REMAKE_INITRD

and if it is an issue with GCC it will get solved very soon upstream on archā€¦ i would not follow the stripping workaround from reddit postā€¦

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=2053496

3 Likes

Nor would Iā€¦I posted that Reddit post for information, not as a suggestion.

The pahole package has been downgraded as of about 15 minutes ago, it appears that this may be where the issue ultimately was.

1 Like

I can confirm that nvidia-dkms v515.65.01-2 installs just fine but it does not work: I manage to boot to a working session but if I issue the nvidia-smi command it outputs
NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.
The nvidia and nvidia-lts modules work, too bad if you use the Zen kernel as in my case.

this will be the solutionā€¦ :sunglasses: :rocket: :wind_face:

So with the simple sudo pacman -Syu your system should just work again ā€¦

5 Likes

This works! Thanks! Now I can finally study :white_heart::vulcan_salute:t2:šŸ«¶šŸ»

Itā€™s already been fixed; all you had to do was run an update and get the new pahole packageā€¦

I think you stopped reading before you got to the end of this thread :grin:.

I updated like 30 min ago. Maybe my uni mirror was not synced yet

Ps : I did read the entire thread, sorry for not making it clear

1 Like

Heya! Author of the Reddit post here. :slight_smile: Just so itā€™s abundantly clear, I never intended for my .BTF stripping suggestion in that post to be a permanent solution, just a temporary workaround at best. When I wrote that post, the version of pahole hadnā€™t been rolled back in the Arch repos yet, and downgrading the kernel or GCC didnā€™t seem to help either. Until I submitted the Arch bug report, I wasnā€™t even aware of the pahole utility or its relation to the DKMS build process. As of the time I write this, ā€˜upgradingā€™ to pahole 1:1.23-1 is definitely the way to go. Cheers!

1 Like

Understood, and thanks for reporting the bug, both initially on Reddit and then to the Arch bugtracker.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.