Failed to mount /sysroot

Yes, I dual boot both systems on the same drive. But, previously, when I had only endeavouros installed, I have experienced the same issue. Maybe it’s my hardware, because aside of it I often catch the segfault and kernel panic when I reboot my system

so go checking smart status of the drive is a good idea…

i bet it is the drive and not the RAM or CPU…

I ran smartctl tests and this is what I got: === START OF SMART DATA SECTION === SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

=== START OF SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART/Health Information (NVMe Log 0x02)
Critical Warning:                   0x00
Temperature:                        35 Celsius
Available Spare:                    100%
Available Spare Threshold:          10%
Percentage Used:                    4%
Data Units Read:                    25 531 189 [13,0 TB]
Data Units Written:                 24 630 406 [12,6 TB]
Host Read Commands:                 370 600 962
Host Write Commands:                352 882 419
Controller Busy Time:               867
Power Cycles:                       3 926
Power On Hours:                     1 108
Unsafe Shutdowns:                   909
Media and Data Integrity Errors:    0
Error Information Log Entries:      155
Warning  Comp. Temperature Time:    0
Critical Comp. Temperature Time:    0

Why not start from the error advice?
Save the shown log file to /boot/ and post here.

Get journal log from the failed boot attempt.

FWIW, when mount cannot recognize an ext4 FS, it looks to me probably not a disk/fs error. :person_shrugging:

IMHO the problem happens in the Early userspace, when tries to mount /sysroot

At the final stage of early userspace, the real root is mounted at /sysroot, and then switched to. The late userspace starts by executing the init program from the real root file system.

IIUC, kernel images recreation might help, unless the problem is from HW/firmware, and resetting/updating BIOS could help. :person_shrugging:

In any case, logs is what helps better understand such (or any) issues. :wink:

boot journal was clean…
but indeed the log mentioned in the error message … i totally forget about:

2023-03-11_13-00

but i bet this log is not saved permanently ? so it do need to copy it from the rescue shell… like:
cp /run/initramfs/rdsosreport.txt /boot/

The thing i see is that the ESP partition is not savely unmounted and in unsave state… and as we tried alread yrebuilding kernel images does not change the issue…

1 Like

I’m sorry that I haven’t posted that log, I just wasn’t sure how to do that. I found in the internet solution that requires another pc, but I don’t have another one available :face_holding_back_tears:

Do you mean empty? If not empty, the sequence of events might help identify the actual problem.

It’s in the message. Login and:

since /run/ is in memory and lost after shutdown.

Does this happen on restart only, or also with a cold boot (after a normal Shutdown)?

It appears in both cases. I’ve tried to run the command you listed (and with /boot/efi instead), but it wrote “no such directory”, so I’ve copied to the partion, where the boot was, and, apparently, broke it. The grub’s not loading and I boot into windows

1 Like

na i mean it was not showing major issues related to the case… looks totally normal…

1 Like

you tried from that screen shown in the forst post here?

Yes, /root

make sure you do not have a typo in teh path to the log file… i only read it from your picture…

It requires another partition/disk, like a USB drive. If you have an empty one, or a writable one (not EnOS installer), you may try mounting a partition (using basic commands, like ls, mkdir, mount, etc.), although it may not be even possible in that stage, where mount does not know of a FS called ext4.

Maybe back to

I guess, I will have to reinstall the whole system again because of that little command :face_holding_back_tears:

Thank you, I will try that after getting the system back, if I ran into that problem

1 Like

Might have missed it in one of the post, is all this with one kernel? Have you tried another kernel ( lts )?

No I haven’t tried other kernels before. Trying to install the system I can say that with the zen kernel error still appears, but I get the black screen (after miraculously booting into system), so I am really getting tired of experimenting :face_holding_back_tears: