External JMicron JMS578 (152d:0578) requires usb-storage quirks to detect HDD

Subject: JMicron JMS578 (152d:0578) requires usb-storage quirks to detect HDD (EXTERNAL)

Hi,
My external SATA enclosure using the JMicron JMS578 controller is not exposing the underlying hard drive to the system. The device is visible via ‘lsusb’, but no block device is created in ‘lsblk’.

Hardware IDs: Bus 004 Device 002: ID 152d:0578 JMicron Technology Corp. / JMicron USA Technology Corp. JMS578 SATA 6Gb/s

Workaround used: Adding ‘options usb-storage quirks=152d:0578:u’ to modprobe config fixes the issue and successfully forces fallback to the usb-storage driver.

[my problem solved this way, and I coouldnt decide how to write hence wrote using AI, but fix worked and I read linux has compatability issues with external hard disks]

Not correct in general terms.

If there is an issue - this is usually caused by the vendor’s implementation of the chipset or the device is using ntfs filesystem.

I have over 5 external hard drives and none have issues with comparability. I am not sure where you read it but i guess its a post from over 20 years ago.