External HDD not appearing on endeavour

I have an external hdd with some files that I wish to transfer to my endeavouros laptop. each time i plug it in i can find it with lsusb and lsblk but it does not appear in the dolphin file manager, and it doesn’t let me mount manually, when I plug this device into a windows machine it works fine and I can see all the files, how could I resolve this issue, thank you.

Welcome to the EndeavourOS Forum. I hope you enjoy your time here.

Is the hdd partition with the desired files formatted in NTFS?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NTFS

Pudge

1 Like

Hello thank you for the welcome,

I Apoligise if this is a simply check but how would I check if it is in nfts?

In a terminal window

[don@J5040 ~]$ lsblk -f
NAME   FSTYPE FSVER LABEL       UUID                                 FSAVAIL FSUSE% MOUNTPOINTS
sda                                                                                 
├─sda1 vfat   FAT32             60C5-5F1B                             827.7M    17% /efi
├─sda2 ext4   1.0   endeavouros 6044da36-2e84-448a-a641-f1b4bdee9741  183.3G    13% /
└─sda3 swap   1     swap        8882e118-fa4a-42e3-b578-541772739064                [SWAP]

In the above, there is a vfat partition, an ext4 partition, and a swap partition listed, all on the same storage device (sda)

It’s been a LONG time since I had a Windows partition on my computer, but I believe that in the second column under FSTYPE a Windows NTFS partition will say ntfs
Somebody correct me if I’m wrong.

Pudge

Hello,
When I run that command I can see the external hard drive listed as sbd1 however each column after that is blank.
[twitchingskull@twitchingskull-80nw ~]$ lsblk -f
NAME FSTYPE FSVER LABEL UUID FSAVAIL FSUSE% MOUNTPOINTS
sda
└─sda1 ntfs New Volume B0563AAD563A73E6 931.4G 0% /run/media/twitchingskull/New Volume
sdb
└─sdb1
nvme0n1
├─nvme0n1p1 vfat FAT32 5FD4-3C73 910.9M 9% /efi
└─nvme0n1p2 ext4 1.0 endeavouros 2260972a-5515-46f3-b292-4d8146111fb7 210.1G 5% /

It shows sda1 as ntfs, but I am not sure about sdb1.

Was the drive on sdb1 encrypted with BitLocker while on windows ?

We need to know more history about sda and sdb drives while on Windows.

Pudge

1 Like

If it works under Windows you can check the file system there. Just right click the drive and choose “Properties”.

1 Like

Is fast startup ON in your windows ?
Or it could be due to bitlocker ? (Just a guess)

To Disable fast startup :
Control Panel → Power Options → Choose what the power button do

Try disabling it and then check again

This external HDD is in exFAT

Yes fast startup is on in my windows device

You can try connecting to HDD after disabling it