Ethernet Problem After New Installation

Like I said, you are by no means alone with these troubles of your ethernet chipset. The internet is full of these complaints, due to that there are millions of these cheap chips built in all kinds of cheaper systems by all kinds of manufaturers, and there is no reliable way or recipe that works for all (as all kinds of manufactureres use these under different proprietary ways). Linux is not supporting this crappy hardware well enough, but also Windows users experience the same problems in numbers, if you care to search the internet.

Buying a different pci-card, or USB-ethernet adapter is what I would do. Sorry… 20 bucks? Hey…

I’m sure that some folks here can make some recommendations, as to which to buy.

:v:

yea thx for everything.i will buy a new one for sure but before i wanna try if there is other way to make it works

There is no proof so far that you need to use the r8168 package. So i would uninstall it and unblack-list the r8169 kernel module. Then i would make sure wol is enabled on Windows first. Follow the Arch wiki for the rest. If you cannot get it working then a usb to Ethernet adapter is your best bet.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Network_configuration/Ethernet

One way could be to shutdown the computer and disconnect the power from the machine completely for half a minute. This would perhaps work (most cases).

Yes this is a good idea. Shutdown disconnect from power supply wait a minute press the power button to drain power. Then plug back in and try booting again.

What to buy (just in case, for some orientation):

1.) USB-Adapters - https://www.etechnophiles.com/best-usb-to-ethernet-adapters/

2.) PCI-Cards - https://www.electronicshub.org/best-ethernet-card/

Thx to every one, i will use for a week and see if something happen.
Stupid question probably but with an adapter/cards what change? new driver? or windows don’t shutdown the adapter/card and than can work safely?

thx, amazing comunity , realy

yes and yes.

Before you buy more stuff to get it working I would at least try a few different kernels. It sounds like it works in certain situations; you may be able to get it to work if you find a good kernel.

I think this is a good clue:

Try the LTS kernel, and try the 515LTS kernel as well.

It also could be a problem with the latest kernel so you could try it with the lts kernel. Just install the package akm which is a kernel manager and install the lts kernel and lts headers and try it maybe. :thinking:

Hush y’all… :wink:

i will try rn

Right now is working, i will wait a few days for maybe check if there is other issue

*Update
And again stop working after a reboot i try to change the state of the NI with this :

sudo ip link set dev enp42s0 down
sudo ip link set dev enp42s0 up

Whenever the ethernet stopped working , changing the state of the NI fixed it.

1 Like

Tip: every time you change drivers or important settings, reboot the machine once or twice to make them work. Even cold boot may be necessary.

TL;DR
Can you show the output of command

lsmod | grep r816

?

The output is this :

r8168 245760 0

I thought you uninstalled the r8168 package so that it would use the r8169 kernel module?

i tried both, but seems the r8168 work better. There was no difference literally but in other answer ppl said to use the r8168.

I’m failing to see why it works better. If the Ethernet doesn’t work after shutdown. Does it work on r8168 or not? Does it not work on the r8169 either? How can you say it works better then? :confused:

oh yea sry , with r8169 and with r8168 the card have the same issue. I tried literally every option with both. And they have the same issue. The problem is that after a reboot or a cold boot sometimes the ethernet doesn’t work.
I had this problem with r8169 and with r8168.
Why i prefer the r8168? Ppl respond to use it and because i notice that with the r8168 the ethernet work more times than the r8169. But in fact there is no difference because sometime work with the r8169 and after a reboot doesn’t work anymore