Ethernet/DHCP not working with the Linux-Zen Kernel

Hello. I recently installed the Linux-Zen kernel, and after booting into to it, I realized the network sign had a big red “X” on it. I use KDE, so I tried looking on the forums of EndeavourOS to solve this issue, and if anyone else had this issue. I found one forum post, but that didn’t fix my problem. They told me to disable NetworkMannager and install DHCP, but that didn’t work. What can I do to fix this? I use a laptop with WiFi + Ethernet (I use Ethernet most of the time.) Thanks!

What is your network chip for ethernet?

inxi -N

Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet

I posted a question about this a few weeks back. I got what seems like very good advice in the thread, but I haven’t tried it yet due to life getting in the way: Linux-zen and r8168-dkms - #3 by BS86

FYI, I just tried the solution in that thread, removing all r8168 packages, and it worked like a charm

As @drhoopoe has posted you’ll need to use the r8168-dkms for the zen kernel.

I probably should have been more clear, but you don’t actually need the dkms. In my case, at least, simply removing all existing r8168 packages did the trick.

You must be using the r8169 kernel module then?

From the very little I know of kernel modules, yes. At least that’s what people on the earlier thread told me would happen if I uninstalled all the r8168 modules. All I know is that I removed the r8168s and rebooted into zen and my ethernet now works just fine.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.