Error updating a green and slow update (I think it's from python)

Hi friends, noob here.

It’s been 2 weeks since I updated my EOS KDE. Since I’m a newbie and don’t know much about the names and meanings of each package, I always update all packages.

When I do “yay” from the terminal, everything always installs very quickly, except nvidia dkms which takes a few minutes.

But today, something was installed that takes a long time to install, I think it is related to python because at the top of the terminal it said something about python, but I’m not sure.

All the letters appear green and it moves very slowly, but when it reaches 16%, I get an error and everything stops.

Maybe one of you can tell me what I should do or what was installed wrong.

Also should I have mozilla firefox closed while the green installation is being installed?

Thanks in advance.

[ 16%] Built target QtCore
Segmentation fault
make[2]: *** [sources/pyside2/PySide2/QtCore/CMakeFiles/QtCore_pyi.dir/build.make:70: sources/pyside2/PySide2/QtCore/CMakeFiles/QtCore_pyi] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:1573: sources/pyside2/PySide2/QtCore/CMakeFiles/QtCore_pyi.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:136: all] Error 2
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().
    Aborting...
 -> Failed to install layer, rolling up to next layer.error:error making: pyside2 - exit status 4
[sudo] password for mylinux: 
sudo: timed out reading password

Hi again friends. I have restarted EOS and tried updating again. But the error persists when reaching 16%:

This reminds me of when I tried to install the librewolf package instead of librewolf-bin and I had to cancel the installation because the first package had to be “compiled” from source (something similar to compressing it), and it took many hours.

I think this is also being “compiled/compressed”, that’s why those green letters appear and it moves so slowly.

If I do a new installation of EOS from the new EOS ISO, will I be able to skip this step? Because I can literally install EOS in less than 5 minutes and it’s not a hassle for me.

I also think that this update is “special”, since I did not have any similar update on EOS this last year.

When you run yay it should print a list of the packages it wants to update. Can you grab a screenshot of that?

It does look like some aur package is failing to compile (looks like pyside2, but it might be something that pyside2 depends on causing the problem.)

Also, did you run pacman -Syu to update first or are you doing the complete update through yay? I only ask because when I run into an aur package wigging out like this, I find it easier to update the non-aur stuff first through pacman, then running yay to find the offending package.

Edit:: Looking into it, pyside2 is broken with the latest python version and in a wontfix state. You might need to see if it is a dependency for any other package by running “pactree -r pyside2” If it is not a dependency, you can safely uninstall it.
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/pyside2#comment-971393

1 Like

Sure friend:

Oh, our friends on this forum taught me with the “yay” command to install and update EOS, so it’s the only command I always use and it’s easier for me to remember, so I did this update only with “yay”.

Thank you friend. I put that command and it seems that it didn’t give any results:

[mylinux@eos ~]$ pactree -r pyside2
pyside2
[mylinux@eos ~]$ 

I also used that command with the name of the other package that gave an error. A different result appears with the “└─” symbols, I suppose it means that the first package belongs to the second package as a dependency:

[mylinux@eos ~]$ pactree -r python-shiboken2
python-shiboken2
└─pyside2
[mylinux@eos ~]$ 

So it looks like nothing depends on pyside2 and only pyside 2 depends on python-shiboken2. It should be safe to remove these with “yay -Rs pyside2”
-R is remove, -Rs is remove and remove dependencies that aren’t needed by anything else.

yay works for an update, but it is calling “pacman-Syu” as part of its update process. The other part is checking all of the aur packages, since pacman doesn’t work with the aur. Using yay to update is fine, but knowing how to use pacman helps me split up the update so I can more easily debug when something from the aur acts up compiling.

3 Likes

I got the same situation now. It’s been half hour in and now is at 35%. a lot of Building CXX Object messages.

[ 34%] Building CXX object sources/pyside2/PySide2/QtWidgets/CMakeFiles/QtWidgets.dir/PySide2/QtWidgets
/qmdisubwindow_wrapper.cpp.o
[ 34%] Building CXX object sources/pyside2/PySide2/QtWidgets/CMakeFiles/QtWidgets.dir/PySide2/QtWidgets
/qmenu_wrapper.cpp.o
[ 35%] Building CXX object sources/pyside2/PySide2/QtWidgets/CMakeFiles/QtWidgets.dir/PySide2/QtWidgets
/qmenubar_wrapper.cpp.o
[ 35%] Building CXX object sources/pyside2/PySide2/QtWidgets/CMakeFiles/QtWidgets.dir/PySide2/QtWidgets
/qmessagebox_wrapper.cpp.o
/qmouseeventtransition_wrapper.cpp.o
/qopenglwidget_wrapper.cpp.o
/qpangesture_wrapper.cpp.o
/qpinchgesture_wrapper.cpp.o
/qplaintextdocumentlayout_wrapper.cpp.o
/qplaintextedit_wrapper.cpp.o
/qprogressbar_wrapper.cpp.o
/qprogressdialog_wrapper.cpp.o
/qproxystyle_wrapper.cpp.o
/qpushbutton_wrapper.cpp.o
/qradiobutton_wrapper.cpp.o

Hope i will see 100%.

1 Like

According to https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/pyside2#comment-971393 It’s not going to build for anybody without it being fixed upstream and the devs have said they will not update pyside2. You should probably uninstall it at this point if possible.

1 Like

Thanks friend, it worked! I ran yay -Rns pyside2 to also clean up configuration files and make everything “cleaner”.

I have executed yay and I have nothing more to update.

Thanks again! : D

1 Like

Looking at GitHub, it seems to have possibly been fixed (maybe only temporarily??) within the past hour. I also had the build fail (it’s a dependency for SyncthingTray) and am attempting a rebuild currently.

Edit: https://github.com/arch4edu/arch4edu/issues/268

Edit 2: The way the build is going at the moment, I expect it to fail again. We’ll see once it completes in a few minutes. I’ve already had one error during the build, so it’s not looking good.

1 Like

17 seconds late, I just uninstalled it x’D but thanks friend! : D

1 Like

Okay, the build still failed for me. After digging a little further, Syncthing Tray (originally dependent on pyside2) was updated to Qt6 and no longer has the dependency on pyside2 (or pyside2-tools or python-shiboken2). Similar to @nicknick, removal of pyside2 only cleaned things up.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.