Error running virtualbox after upgrading to virtualbox 7

My system recently upgraded to virtualbox 7. I get the following error message whenever I try to start a virtual machine.

RTR3InitEx failed with rc=-1912 (fRtFlags=0x10000) (rc=-1912)

The virtualbox kernel module do not match this version of virtualbox. The installation of VirtualBox was apparently not successful. Executing
`/sbin/vboxconfig`
may correct this. Make sure that you are not mixing builds of VirtualBox from
different sources.

where: supR3HardenedMainInitRuntime what: 4
VERR_VM_DRIVER_VERSION_MISMATCH(-1912) - The installed support driver doesn't match the version of the user.

I tried running /sbin/vboxconfig, but it does not exist. How to fix this?

On the Vbox forums recently a few had to remove completely and then reinstall virtualbox to fix it. Apparently in place updating to VBox7 is iffy

First step is to ensure your system is no partially synced.

Second step is to set the vm’s USB to 1.1.

Third step is to use dkms instead of the prebuilt host modules

sudo pacman -Syu virtualbox-host-dkms

What does the -j flag do?
I can’t find it in man pacman.

I removed virtualbox and removed the orphan dependencies with pacman -Rsn $(pacman -Qdtq).
Then I installed virtualbox with virtualbox-host-dkms, and rebooted the computer.

Afterwards, virtualbox works perfectly.

thats what they sad to do over in the Vbox forums :+1: Vbox7 has other issues besides that though, its a bit rough atm

@archisman

Glad you got your issue resolved.

Please consider marking as solution the post that pointed out it to you.
That would be post #2 in this thread.

It is verifying if the comment is actually read - not copy pasted :slight_smile: - joke aside - it was a typo.

1 Like

Why? I use usb 2.0

Because setting usb to 1.1 removes the dependency on the matching extension pack which quite often is causing dysfunctional virtual machines after update.

This isn’t a common thing. I only had to do this when the extension package came out as version 7 before virtual box was updated to version 7. Never ever have i had to do this before.

In that case consider yourself lucky :man_shrugging:

My suggestion is based on my experience - the list is suggestions - in prioritized order - so your milage may vary.

The most common issue I have had over the years has been related to the extension pack with the prebuilt host drivers as a close second.

I only added the partial sync check for good measure.

In my case, a previously installed Centos 8 started smoothly on a Virtualbox 7 with EOS.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.