Error crypto disk not found on startup

• btrfs here
  • mkinitcpio-openswap installed (but not needed/in use as I use a swapfile)
  • NO notable increase in cpu usage here

Removing mkinitcpio-openswap does not affect the error at boot.

I’m totally clueless at this point … ;-(

same for me … and this is not good :wink: i mean that you arte clueless too… i am not a real expert on encryption stuff but i know how it works and where to look… not helping in this case… must be some change with an update because if i install offline from release ISO it is not there on first boot and comes in after updating…

But this is all i know so far…

And yes it not the mkinitcpio-openswap hook …

I will now check if it happens also on current devel installer state…

I’m a bit of an arch noob but I did set up automatic snapshots after every system upgrade with BTRFS!

Is there anything I could do to help figure out what the problem is?

It would sure be helpful to know when this issue first occurred. You could maybe find out by restoring old snapshots and check with a reboot.

1 Like

i will go to check related packages on the commits may i find something …

Based on the following mail threads this is a grub message:

https://www.mail-archive.com/grub-devel@gnu.org/msg33206.html
https://www.mail-archive.com/grub-devel@gnu.org/msg33158.html

Current grub version from arch: 2.06.r380.g151467888

I downgradedd grub to the previous arch version 2.0.6.r334.g340377470
and did “sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg”.

With this version the error “vanished”.

3 Likes

okay … so it is maybe nothing installer set outdated… or wrongly and is a grub BUG

again :exploding_head: ?

Just checked @Madic downgrading grub and reinstall grub-files + regen grub.cfg is removing the warning…
So investigating commits for grub again now :wink:

But it also only happens if you use /boot inside the LUKS with an unencrypted /boot it does not show the error…

And welcome @Madic thanks for the hint! :rocket: :enos:

Quickly wanted to inform everyone that my high CPU usage problem was unrelated to this issue!

My increased CPU usage was due specifically to picom!

When I killed picom, my CPU usage went down to normal almost instantly and my fans immediately went from running for their lives to peaceful silence!

The CPU load of both Xorg and dunst also quickly decreased as well, probably because both use/depend upon picom in some manner or capacity!

Following the advice from the top comment on this reddit thread, I changed the default picom command from picom -b to picom -b --backend glx on my system!

This has completely resolved my randomly high CPU usage and load problem!

But the cryptodisk error problem still remains!

It’s just weird that these two separate issues happened around the exact same time!

1 Like

I again updated grub to 2.06.r380.g151467888, rebooted to check if the error apperas, and afer that did the following commands. Afterwards the error is gone. Though no idea if coincidence or really “the fix”.

sudo grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=EndeavourOS-grub
sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

To be fair the grub updated said to run both commands after update.

Maybe someone can test if this can generally fix it?

Thank you for the welcome @joekamprad. Registered to share my findings because the error was / is getting on my nerves :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Against all logic I decided to try to reinstall grub and rerun grub-install and
grub-mkconfig (I explicitly remember doing this after the last regular update too).

Well, the boot error message has disappeared for the last three test runs.

So, just like @Madic suggested, running

sudo pacman -S grub
sudo grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=EndeavourOS
sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

seems to have solved the issue for me. No idea why, but I’ll try to leave it at that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

strange strange… magic ?
Last Updated: 2022-11-16 21:27 UTC
https://archlinux.org/packages/core/x86_64/grub/

I do not see updates on the involved packages other than the kernel?
I will check… also it is not happening on our current testing for the ISO and installer at all.

So off to do some tests.

You are an awesome lovely community, this was very helpful for us again ! :enos:
You pay us a lot of free time.

still an issue with openswap hook…
but issue is gone.

So perhaps we have found another situation where re-running grub-install after a grub update is required?

1 Like

should i try to reproduce this? :sunglasses:

I can not reproduce it here… it must have been the last kernel ?
I was installing from Release ISO offline updating system without reinstall grub files and no issue appears…

Tried also downgrading grub and kernel but i was not able to get the error again.

Looks like some other package was causing it or i do not try scenario 23 to find out :wink:

1 Like

Eh, I wouldn’t spend time on it personally.

We have more important things we can do. :wink:

yea true… its gone and done…

2 Likes

Should I restore and check old snapshots to help figure out when this issue first arose?

I’ve been busy but should be able to do this at least!

Edit: Scatch that! All my snapshots are too recent - none of them are before this bug occurred! My bad!

I can confirm that the above commands work for me as well!

I would only like to amend the first command like so:
sudo pacman -S --needed grub

The --needed prevents unnecessary re-installations of the grub package!

Also, it might be best if the user updates their entire system before undergoing this process!
The command for that is the usual and well-known:
sudo pacman -Syu

Thank you @Madic, @2000, @joekamprad, and @dalto for all the help and support!

1 Like

but if grub is installed already --needed will not reinstall the grub package at all.