Eos-update-notifier shows updates, but pacman & yay will not find them

It has been 7-10 days since I last had any system update found by pacman or yay - excluding a couple of AUR updates with the latter.
As if that was not suspicious enough, I got notifications for 20, then 22, and today 26 as displayed by eos-update notifier.
However, as I go to the command line to fetch them, it will not go further than this

:: Synchronising package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
 endeavouros is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
 there is nothing to do

and additionally with yay

:: Searching databases for updates...
:: Searching AUR for updates...
 there is nothing to do

I have changed mirrors, but did not get any luckier.
Has anyone experienced something like this?

1 Like

It was an issue with one of the Arch mirrors, not linked to the EOS mirrors themselves. Problem solved!

To be more precise, the mirror that was misbehaving was

##Netherlands
Server = https://arch.mirrors.lavatech.top/$repo/os/$arch

2 Likes

Since Arch has updates dailyā€“or nearly soā€“I really question the necessity for an update notifier at all.

And most certainly the terminal command, checkupdates provides a nominal, similar service.

6 Likes

Thank you for your 2 cents!
The eos-update-notifier came to be in my system alongside a standard system update, and I will not enter in the merits or issues surrounding it, as that is competence of the governance of EndeavourOS.
Its presence did not bother me enough to prompt uninstallation, but my best guess is that it may indeed serve a purpose with newbies, if just to remind them to keep the system up to date rather than updating after X months and risking something going wrong

I had that exact same issueā€¦ partly. My desktop was 2 revisions more recent on the kernel and my laptop kept saying ā€œno new updatesā€. Wound up being the same type of mirror issue. Glad you were able to figure this out and get it resolved!

1 Like

I understand and recognize that Endeavour is an easier, softer installer and introduction to Arch Linux. However, part of the education process should be inculcated that it is indeed a rolling release and requires regular updates.

However, if you never take the training wheels off the bicycle, the child never learns to ride without them. Thatā€™s my take on it. Fortunately, the notifier is easily disabled. So if you are happy with training wheels, then that is your decision and all that matters. :+1:

regards

2 Likes

I think it comes down to which training wheels get used. Some people like the EOS-notifier, some have a ā€˜pacman-updateā€™ service running and permanently displaying update status in their conky (me for one - current status is 3 new | 0 ignored) - and others bolt on timers and run their updates by a schedule. As long as they get thought of, and managedā€¦

I honestly donā€™t see that much difference between doing checkupdates manually or allowing eos-update-notifier to do it (since thatā€™s what it is using anyway, along with yay -Qua I believe). The notifier just makes it more convenient, for anyone, no matter your level of experience. The longer I use arch (even though I am still a newbie), the more I appreciate things like that tbh, not the other way around.

1 Like