[eos-update-notifier] doesn't check for updates after a logout / login sequence

eos-update-notifier version: 0.5-4

I wanted to try eos-update-notifier an hard way: switching an EndeavourOS installed in VirtualBox from stable repository to testing ones.

After I modified /etc/pacman.conf, I updated repositories cache using yay -Syy. I logout out and on next login, nothing was notified. After a reboot, a window appeared telling me about the new updates.

Maybe the 2 hours delay for checking on login is not reseted on logout?

You need to reboot the system after the first install.

I’m sure I rebooted. Maybe delay between two update check is not reseted only on logout :slight_smile:

joe@e: systemctl --user status eos-update-notifier.timer
â—Ź eos-update-notifier.timer - Run EOS update notifier a few times a day
   Loaded: loaded (/home/joe/.config/systemd/user/eos-update-notifier.timer; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (waiting) since Wed 2019-10-23 12:57:16 CEST; 1min 25s ago
  Trigger: Wed 2019-10-23 13:00:00 CEST; 1min 17s left

Okt 23 12:57:16 empowered64 systemd[689]: Started Run EOS update notifier a few times a day.

is what it gives my right after a reboot…

and here the output after logout/in:

joe@e: systemctl --user status eos-update-notifier.timer
   Loaded: loaded (/home/joe/.config/systemd/user/eos-update-notifier.timer; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (waiting) since Wed 2019-10-23 12:57:16 CEST; 3min 18s ago
  Trigger: Wed 2019-10-23 14:00:00 CEST; 59min left

Okt 23 12:57:16 empowered64 systemd[689]: Started Run EOS update notifier a few times a day.

( i do set it to one hour to check for updates)

2 Likes

does systemctl restart XX also do ?

I guess, @manuel?

OK. Thanks for the info. Maybe a tray icon could be a good idea to force a check between two checking?

A re-check can be done any time by calling eos-update-notifier in the command line.

And the initial update check happens quite soon after login, but not immediately. Initially it may take about a minute (or maybe two) before showing the results of the check.
After that first check it continues checking every two hours.
And systemd is the one handling when any of the checks happen.

Note that there may be some additional small (a number of seconds, less than a minute) delay because of two things:

• eos-update-notifier has an initial delay of a few seconds anyway
  • it also checks (and possibly waits for) that there is an internet connection before doing anything
1 Like

Please note that developing more new features takes a lot of time, and the more features there are, the more problems may occur.
The ideas are great, but please don’t expect them to be implemented anytime soon… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@ringo
Please clarify, what do you mean by “restart XX”?

heh tought was loaded in systemd :slight_smile: restart restarts the service …

If eos-update-notifier seems not to work right after install, reboot or re-login should help (and is required).

I have it working now on Cinnamon. Wget was not installed so i was getting a panel with error message.

[rick@endeavour-os ~]$ systemctl --user status eos-update-notifier.timer
   Loaded: loaded (/home/rick/.config/systemd/user/eos-update-notifier.timer; e>
   Active: active (waiting) since Wed 2019-10-23 23:17:56 EDT; 1h 15min ago
  Trigger: Thu 2019-10-24 02:25:00 EDT; 1h 51min left

Oct 23 23:17:56 endeavour-os systemd[713]: Started Run EOS update notifier a fe>
[rick@endeavour-os ~]$ 
1 Like

A tray icon is not an easy task to code…
Archlinuxupdatenotifier (nice word construction).
Is having one and the same with kalu… Tray icons mostly work different in qt and gtk environment…

1 Like

Thanks for digging up the real reason! I’ll add wget as a dependency to the notifier.

1 Like

yu can always fork a project like pactray , but yeah someone need python knowledge because auracle dep is suck further for qt you need a statusnotifier application like you use like kalu-kde…

eos-update-notifier also not work with qterminal… but does eos-update-notifier go straight to terminal to update ? is it not better just like : notify-send -a eos-notifier -c update “$(checkupdates)” (or with wc -l )

Terminals supported by eos-update-notifier are:

xfce4-terminal konsole gnome-terminal mate-terminal lxterminal terminator tilix termite xterm

Terminals unsupported by eos-update-notifier are:

qterminal kitty

If the supported terminals above are not suitable for someone, please report it in the Bug reports, and give a list of terminals that you’d like to use (but please note the list of unsupported terminals above). Then I can check if they work with eos-update-notifier.

A simple notify-send would show the available updates, but eos-update-notifier takes this further by starting a terminal for actually updating if it finds there are updates. That’s by design.

I could (but not eager to :wink: ) change the behavior to only show the available updates, if the majority of users would like that more. But I’m certainly not recommending it.

2 Likes

I updated the wiki documentation for the Update Notifier:
https://endeavouros.com/docs/applications/endeavouros-update-notifier

1 Like

It will be a point users will concern on the way it pops up breaking current focus, including me… if i do writing at the moment an update is detected on i3 i ot that password questioning terminal fullscreen and it automatic steal the focus, there is may a way to work around this by either have it starting in background or making it do not steal the focus.