[EnOS Wiki] AMD driver clarification

Thanks to the Wiki maintainers for the great EnOS Wiki, very useful to learn various things. I have a new laptop using AMD integrated graphics (AMD Radeon Vega 8) and I was looking at the EnOS Wiki about information on drivers:

I find in somewhat confusing if I need a specific driver or if everything is build into the kernel, also the output form the lspci command does not match the architectures listed in the “AMD Architectures and working driver” table.

VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Renoir [1002:1636] ( rev c1 )

Maybe a short note about integrated AMD graphics could be added to the Wiki for clarification?

I also find the information under “Now choose the one fitting your hardware” a bit confusing, it says:

"If you find out that your card is AMDGPU driver you do not need to install any driver ATI is already installed.

If your card is supported by AMDGPU install it:

sudo pacman -S xf86-video-amdgpu

So my question is of the xf86-vide-amdgpu should be installed or not :thinking:

there is a typo with the url should be:
"If you find out that your card is ATI driver you do not need to install any driver ATI is already installed.
and the amd artikel is not fully complete, i will try to add more info soon.

3 Likes

One of my boxes is running AMD - Vega based integrated graphics - although it is Raven Ridge, not Renoir. My experience, in case it helps, is that AMDGPU should be used:

sudo pacman -S xf86-video-amdgpu

and that, perhaps, an entry to put in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d is indicated. You could create a text file called (for instance) 20-amd.conf with content as follows:

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "AMD"
	Driver "amdgpu"
    Option "TearFree" "on"
EndSection

which prevents some video anomalies.

Hope this helps. (after a reboot)

2 Likes

Thanks @freebird54, I will try the xord.conf modification. I also noticed that xf86-video-amdgpu was already installed, maybe that was taken care of by EnOS installer automatically?

It might be - mine was done on a pretty early EnOS install, and I had to do it myself. Unless I first did it on an Arch :grin: (I run a few different setups here - common data drive, but multiple OS’s and DE’s… I think it is 9 on that machine)

1 Like

I don’t have that option and I don’t seem to have any issues that I see with screen tearing on my RX 590. I’m just using the amdgpu.

I don’t on the other (discrete GPU) machine either. This was on the integrated GPU on the Ryzen 5 2400G that I needed the tear-free set. XFCE 4.14 brought it to my attention - apparently because it set vblank to something it didn’t like! I could change the vblank setting (to either of the alternatives), or switch to amdgpu and set tear-free as described…

Okay…i can see that. On xfce i usually set v-blank off even with my discrete GPU.