EndevourOS on the Steam Deck

Here’s my experience running EndevourOS KDE running on Wayland on my Steam Deck (dual boot with SteamOS).

My Steam Deck is the 512GB model.
I have shrunk my SteamOS home partition using Gparted, reserving about 50GB.

Here’s what’s working out of the box (latest Zen kernel),

Steam controls (Joystick triggers R2 and L2 act like mouse Right and Left buttons) right Touchpad acts like a laptop touchpad, haptic feedback works, (detected as a drawing tablet)
Audio: Headphone jack works,
WIfi works both 2.4 and 5G
Speakers: According to the Archwiki it needs linux-steamos kernel from the AUR (have not tested yet)
Screen : Touchscreen and brightness works
Bluetooth: works after installing and enabling bluez (audio works)
Usb C: works like it should *tested a usb hub, mouse and keyboard.
Battery: Shows the remaining time and health

Notes: Grub menu works using D-Pad and selection using the A key.
installing EndevourOS will make it start automatically, skipping SteamOS (SteamOS needs to be selected on the boot menu)

Endeavour boots really fast on the Steam Deck!

Feel free to ask me any questions.

Ps. I will post some pictures later
Ps2. For the onscreen keyboard, Maliit works on most parts (Plasma workspace, Sddm login), not on Firefox
Ps3. Installed Endeavour on the free partition using Ext4.

Screenshot_20221016_203156
Screenshot_20221016_203300

12 Likes

Any specially formatting or existing partition required for the bootloader or did you just select the empty partition during eos install and that’s it?

I just know that steam OS added some restriction sto install software etc. That can be lifted, but essentially allowing the user to only install flatpaks out of the box, or temporarily via pacman unless one unlocks the advanced features.

Welcome to the forum and eos :grin: :rocket:

@Kresimir will perhaps be tempted to get a steam deck now

3 Likes

Welcome to the purple space!!
:enos_flag: :enos: :rocketa_purple:

1 Like

Yes, I just select the empty space, no encryption or anything special.

I believe the steamOS partition is read only, can be changed, but anything changed by the user will get lost on the next update, so Flatpak is the way to go
Root access is easy to enable, I did to install plugins and whatnot.

Thanks!

1 Like

I was quite blown away, when I connected the steam deck to my monitor and switched from a handheld touchscreen device to a full DE for the first time. Who says convergence hasn’t been achieved on Linux, it seems possible :star_struck:

4 Likes

Yes! The year of the Linux desktop is coming :slight_smile:
For me Steam deck is the greatest handheld computer I’ve seen, the thing is powerful and the user is free to do whatever with it.

I got mine 4 days ago and I’m having a blast.

4 Likes

I REALLY want to know how they implemented this. I’m hoping it’s something in grub and not something in the BIOS…the former can probably be reproduced and benefit everyone. The latter…not so much.

1 Like

The controls fall back to “lizard mode” if Steam isn’t running, so probably dpad acts as arrow keys, “A” is enter and “B” is back.

According to the Archwiki it needs linux-steamos kernel from the AUR

Linux 6.0 and firmware package (linux-neptune-firmware or something like that) should be enough.

2 Likes

I’m curious about framerate limit, power limit, and global fsr. how does it work?? I didn’t have one yet.

There is a menu to choose frame rate, and other settings, with a slider, and it changes instantly. Will see if I can send a screenshot.

Wow! you mean this also show up on endeavour os with steam deck?! That will be very impressive!!

I don’t have eos on the steam deck. Just steam OS.

1 Like

Could I get some help on the installation process? Only issue I’m having is no keyboard

how did you install those things into eos?

On SteamOS or other Linux? On SteamOS you hit the … button on the device and an overlay appears in which you can easily change these settings.
On other Linux, install mangoapp and gamescope, attach Steam to gamescope, framerate limit and FSR should be accessible. Refresh rate change will require extra setps

I managed to install this successfully yesterday. I installed it to my SD card by booting from USB. For me the hardest part came because I didn’t have a proper USB hub to plug in a keyboard to input wifi details/login info but once I was able to plug in the keyboard it was just as easy as on the desktop. Select your environment, I picked Sway because I have Nvidia on my PC, and fill in the details and hit install. Sway was kinda difficult because the screen kept orientating back to vertical and trying to map the keys was hard because I wasn’t sure how to bind the keys on the deck. Besides those hiccups it was great.