EndeavourOS occasionally hangs on boot

Hello,

It’s me again :slight_smile: Every now and then when I start up my EndeavourOS it doesn’t go to login manager. Or at least the screen is completely blank. I press the power button and restart - and everything works. I wonder why?

I assume GRUP went through succesfully as this log is written. I didn’t start the display in time to see it though.

full journalctl -b -1 here

Ryzen 5950? Holy cow …nothing should be stopping that! What desktop are you running and display manager?

1 Like

KDE Desktop environment with original window manager (KWin)
sddm login manager.

KDE can have some issues doing this if you change a lot of things. I’m assuming you have AMD video? Do you use the standard Breeze themes or something else.

1 Like

Did you try removing quiet from grub? You might be able to see where it stops.

I had some issues where lightdm would not start or shutdown and I had to go to another tty to boot it up. I believe this was fixed with an update.

5 Likes

I have the same issue, completely different setup:

Nvidia card (but not NVIDIA drivers, only the Nouveau drivers), LightDM and Xfce.
About one in 10 boots it just goes black.

Seems to be an Arch issue; never had that issue with Fedora (with GDM/Gnome nor LightDM / Xfce) but I have had it with pure Arch, Manjaro and Endeavour.

2 Likes

Maybe the new kde 5.22 will fix it. I just got the updates now.

1 Like

Actually I have Nvidia 3090 card. I aim to do some AI-calculation and AMD-GPU doesn’t make much sense =)

Only mod I have is Latte-dock - It’s amazing.

I have Breeze dark settings. Lets hope KDE 5.22 fixes this

Thanks! Going to remove quiet-loader and check again. Goon tip also that another tty.

Do you have Nvidia set up with all the enhancements as per the wiki? My Nvidia GTX 1060 i do and i have no issues although i run XFCE on that one.

1 Like

Aaactually I didn’t have even automatic configuration provided by nvidia-xconfig. Could you be more specific regarding enchancements? I’m not sure what you mean. I checked arch-wiki on nvidia but didn’t find information of enchancements.

Think @ricklinux talk about eos wiki

1 Like

Thank you. I did the enhancements. It was well described page that I actually already had read on some other problem… At least system boots up still so I didn’t screw up that badly :slight_smile: Time will tell whether it fixed the problem.

1 Like

Aaaand it’s a no. Enchancements didn’t help. Today I had black screen again. However I investigated more.

Something very odd is happening. Quiet-boot is not enabled but still I cannot see what linux is loading. I switched through tty’s and saw that it tried to do something as my display showed “display port: no signal” after I changed tty’s.

PC is also very much alive and “usable”. On a blank screen I went to tty1, logged in. and boom it loaded me in - but screen is still blank. I used key-combination to start shell and restarted pc - command was accepted and pc restarted. After boot the display returned.

do you enable early module loading in mkninitcpio.conf and regenerate images ? sudo mkinitcpio -P

Jun 09 16:55:07 humppakone kernel: nvidia: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel
1 Like

When you added the additional enhancements did you also manually add the hook or the package nvidia-hook? That will automatically generate the mkinitcpio -P

Yap, did so. Followed exactly the enchancement instructions (that is the last part).

But actually that bootlog doesn’t represent situation after doing the enchancements as I did them after making the post.

Anyway here is my mkinitcpio.conf

#
# SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-3.0-or-later

# vim:set ft=sh
# MODULES
# The following modules are loaded before any boot hooks are
# run.  Advanced users may wish to specify all system modules
# in this array.  For instance:
#     MODULES=(piix ide_disk reiserfs)
MODULES="nvidia nvidia_modeset nvidia_uvm nvidia_drm"

# BINARIES
# This setting includes any additional binaries a given user may
# wish into the CPIO image.  This is run last, so it may be used to
# override the actual binaries included by a given hook
# BINARIES are dependency parsed, so you may safely ignore libraries
BINARIES=()

# FILES
# This setting is similar to BINARIES above, however, files are added
# as-is and are not parsed in any way.  This is useful for config files.
FILES=""

# HOOKS
# This is the most important setting in this file.  The HOOKS control the
# modules and scripts added to the image, and what happens at boot time.
# Order is important, and it is recommended that you do not change the
# order in which HOOKS are added.  Run 'mkinitcpio -H <hook name>' for
# help on a given hook.
# 'base' is _required_ unless you know precisely what you are doing.
# 'udev' is _required_ in order to automatically load modules
# 'filesystems' is _required_ unless you specify your fs modules in MODULES
# Examples:
##   This setup specifies all modules in the MODULES setting above.
##   No raid, lvm2, or encrypted root is needed.
#    HOOKS=(base)
#
##   This setup will autodetect all modules for your system and should
##   work as a sane default
#    HOOKS=(base udev autodetect block filesystems)
#
##   This setup will generate a 'full' image which supports most systems.
##   No autodetection is done.
#    HOOKS=(base udev block filesystems)
#
##   This setup assembles a pata mdadm array with an encrypted root FS.
##   Note: See 'mkinitcpio -H mdadm' for more information on raid devices.
#    HOOKS=(base udev block mdadm encrypt filesystems)
#
##   This setup loads an lvm2 volume group on a usb device.
#    HOOKS=(base udev block lvm2 filesystems)
#
##   NOTE: If you have /usr on a separate partition, you MUST include the
#    usr, fsck and shutdown hooks.
#HOOKS="base udev autodetect modconf block keyboard keymap resume filesystems fsck"
HOOKS="base udev resume autodetect modconf keyboard consolefont numlock block filesystems fsck"

# COMPRESSION
# Use this to compress the initramfs image. By default, gzip compression
# is used. Use 'cat' to create an uncompressed image.
#COMPRESSION="gzip"
#COMPRESSION="bzip2"
#COMPRESSION="lzma"
COMPRESSION="xz"
#COMPRESSION="lzop"
#COMPRESSION="lz4"

# COMPRESSION_OPTIONS
# Additional options for the compressor
#COMPRESSION_OPTIONS=()

I added the package nvidia-hook as well

This is rather annoying feature. This seems to be especially an issue when I start pc first and display only after that.

I have a similar problem. sddm crashes and needs to be restarted with sudo systemctl restart sddm (on another tty).