EndeavourOS fixed my distrohopping (THANK YOU!)

I was fed up with Windows and all its problems (performance, lack of privacy, etc.) and wanted three simple things for a Linux distribution:

1. As I have hybrid Intel + NVIDIA GPUs, I wanted NVIDIA drivers with working Optimus support.
  2. BTRFS + LUKS encryption and Timeshift or Snapper.
  3. Arch-based distro with little to no bloat.

I kid you not, I went through at least half a dozen distro installations without ever accomplishing ALL of these three things at the same time. The tutorials on Linux graphics drivers and BTRFs seemed to be contradictory or incomplete; I followed two or three YouTube tutorials to the letter (one of them multiple times) but they didn’t help. Once, after accomplishing pure Arch + BTRFS + timeshift and feeling good with myself, there was some problem involving the @home BTRFS subvolume and GRUB and I wasn’t unable to revert back to any snapshots.

I compromised and reached a somewhat comfortable place with a standard Manjaro KDE installation with the NVIDIA drivers working but without BTRFS (I tried Manjaro Architect with BTRFS without success). I ended up formatting the computer and trying again.

Garuda Linux was closer to my goals, but to me, the look of the Dragonized edition was not to my taste and there were loads of bloat; I also tried the support-less base version but the NVIDIA drivers didn’t work. Back on Dragonized, I tried to revert back to an easier on the eyes version of KDE but it’s not a straightforward process; there are lots of customizations and config files in there. Gave up on Garuda.

In a stroke of luck, I found Endeavour OS the same day they released the latest 2021 version. Aside from the Calamares installer (amazing), it had automatic graphics drivers install similar to Manjaro (check), little to no bloat and very close to Arch (check) and a separate online guide on how to set up BTRFS + LUKS (check check check). I won’t lie: I thought, this BTRFS tutorial will probably be like the others, something will break along the way when I’ll be executing the commands and I won’t have either BTRFS, encryption or Timeshift.

To my surprise, not only did it work, but the Endeavour Welcome app was wonderfully simple and to the point; there was little bloat like I wanted; and thus far (over two weeks in), the interaction between GRUB, BTRFS, LUKS, and Timeshift has been perfect, even after multiple system (and kernel) updates. I managed to do stuff I never thought I would be able to in a computer, certainly never on a Windows machine, for instance setting up a BTRFS raid1 for two of my external drives; installing a Bitcoin + Lightning full node through Umbrel; automounting my VeraCrypt volumes with a systemd service on startup without a hitch; I even customized the look of my Spotify client with spicetify-cli and made winapps work (a solution akin to Wine to use any Windows app as a separate window “inside” Linux).

It hasn’t been exactly easy but for the first time, everything seems to work well. I don’t think I’ve ever had to revert to a previous snapshot thus far. I am loving the experience and don’t plan on switching anytime soon; in fact I want to see if I can migrate my system exactly as it is, encrypted BTRFS partitions and all, to a new, larger SSD I bought.

A big thank you to all involved!

P. S.: Is there a way I could donate to the Endeavour team using Bitcoin?

21 Likes

eos stopped me from distrohopping too
welcome to the club :laughing:

5 Likes

Welcome.

A backup LTS kernel is a good idea, particularly for hybrid nvidia users, sometimes it takes time for nvidia drivers / optimus tools to catchup with newly released kernels. 5.10 release was a doozy.

Same with virtualbox.

On an older laptop I’ll be keeping 5.4 LTS around for a while.

4 Likes

I more distro-hop for the experience! I get bored very quickly :laughing:! Welcome! Enjoy your time here :partying_face::partying_face:

3 Likes

For me, there’s almost no difference between distros. A linux kernel, a desktop environment and some programs. My OS looks the same no matter what I use. However, I don’t like too much changes so keep me mostly on Debian!

4 Likes

3 Likes

I distro hop very rapidly lol, I’m in the linux world for like a month and i switch like 6 distros, I hope EndeavourOS will stop me too :joy:

1 Like

If EndeavourOS doesn’t stop you (yet), please do more distro hopping to see your options. You’re always welcome back here! :wink:

3 Likes

I think you’ll find a fair number of us here who used to be habitual distro-hoppers, but how are now happily sticking with EndeavourOS :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You might want to try Virtualbox on an EnOS host.

1 Like

I tried Solus, Peppermint, Zorin and a few others before landing on Antergos. Stuck with it for a week and they ended the project. FML! Thank Cthulhu for the community, Endeavour was born from the rubble. Been using it ever since.

Garuda would probably be better for me, but I’ve invested too much time into getting this system the way I want it to make the switch. :smiley: Plus the community is great.

1 Like

Great to have you with us! There doesn’t seem to be an option for Bitcoin donations yet, but @Bryanpwo may have some further comments on this. Every donation makes a difference, no matter how small, so thankyou!

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, I’ll do that :+1:

1 Like

Welcome @fakedpee
There is no option for Bitcoin but any donation is appreciated. Hope you & your family are doing well. EndeavourOS is awesome! :enos:

2 Likes

Welcome. Happy to have you with us.

1 Like

My apologies for getting a bit late in this thread, but the community already answered your question very well.
Bitcoin will not be an option for the near future, thank you for considering a donation and I wish you a fun and learning experience over here.

2 Likes

1 week I’ve been on Endeavour and really love it. I’ve been a huge distro hopper. I’ve stopped on Peppermint but since the main dev died (rest in peace) there was no talk about keeping it going.

Distro hopping for years till now when I finally had a chance to give Endeavour a try. Love this distro and never thinking about distro hopping.

Yeah, that is why I installed an extra 512GB NVMe SSD and left my Ubuntu 20.04.2 install all alone. Endeavour has some issues with power settings, GNome and Wayland so I went ahead and installed Manjaro instead. That had the same issues and it was when I found out it was Wayland with GNome. The whole idea is learning is doing. :slight_smile:

1 Like