EFI disk partition

Looking over the arch wiki it states they the efi partition should be mounted to /efi and that /boot/efi is the old recommendation. The installer follows the /boot/efi standard. If I wanted to follow the current recommendation and mount my my efi partition to /efi, is it as simple as editing the fstab file after the install? What issues am I likely to have? Should I put a link in boot to efi? A quick test in virtualbox shows that it boots after editing the fstab.

I don’t think it matters. You can go with either and it will boot properly (at least if you’re not dual booting, I have no idea about dual boot, never did that).

For what it’s worth, I use /bin/efi

If you are using grub, you don’t need it mounted at all to boot.

I think the only reason it is mounted is so it can be updated when needed.

1 Like

not forget to check if motherboard will recognize this EFI directory

It actually says /mnt/boot or /mnt/efi. I always use /mnt/boot.

The motherboard shouldn’t know or care where you have it mounted. In many cases, it doesn’t even need to be mounted at all.

Err…what? I think @galvez_65 is referring to this from the Arch wiki:

Tip:

• /efi is a replacement[6] for the previously popular (and possibly still used by other Linux distributions) ESP mountpoint /boot/efi .
  • The /efi directory is not available by default, you will need to first create it with mkdir(1) before mounting the ESP to it.

That’s probably another of those things with Arch that you use happily for years without realising that it’s entirely unnecessary!!! The next time I do an Arch install, I’ll try mounting the efi partition to just /efi and see what happens. A little experimentation never goes amiss. I’ve been playing around with a few WMs recently and I can’t make up my mind which I prefer.

Yes that’s what I was looking at this afternoon

1 Like

I’ll probably mount it to /efi for this build, and change it later if I run into problems. If nothing else it keeps it clean.

Actually, I prefer the /boot/efi setup - especially for multi-boot. It keep all the boot-related items in one place - where even I can find them! It is also easier to get rEFInd to ignore all the grub entries that I don’t use, with a dontscandirs entry…

I also think it simplifies things for multiple EnOS entries on the same system - make it easier to swap in the logos you want to boot with (such as EnOS MATE using MATE logo, EnOS Cinnamon using Cinnamon logo etc etc)

In terms of actually working, I don’t think it makes any difference at all…

1 Like