Dual boot with Windows on separate disk

Hello,
At the moment I’m happy user of EOS on M.2 drive. Recently I’ve ordered additional SATA SSD drive and I would like to install there Windows as my gaming env. What would be best way to achieve this? Should I remove M.2 drive → install Windows on separate disk and later modify GRUB entry? If yes then what kind of entry should I add?

This would be a cautious course of action to keep the operating systems totally separate from each other and consequently eliminating any source of possible interference.

When your done installing Windows, you could boot into your EnOS’ system and run the following command to regenerate the grub.cfg file:

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Assuming your both systems are installed in the same mode, that is, UEFI or Legacy/MBR, after a reboot you should see an entry in the Grub boot menu for your Windows.

If this is not working, look into the file /etc/default/grub and make sure you have the following line:

GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false

Regenerate grub.cfg again.

2 Likes

This is exactly what i would do also. If you try to install Windows on the second drive with the m.2 drive intact you’ll end up with Windows booting and no EOS. Then you would have to arch-chroot and probably reinstall grub and update it.

This is how I have Windows on my personal work computer. I’ve got the normal 1tb nvme in the thinkpad for Linux and a 256gb that replaced my WWLAN card I have windows on for when I travel and need to access my irrigation system. The two are completely separate and the only way into windows is via the firmware.

Did you mean a WWAN card? Does WWLAN stand for both WLAN/WWAN? It’s interesting. I never knew you could install an nvme SSD in the place of a network adapter.

If you removed your network card, how do you connect to your irrigation system? (I remember you mentioned weeks ago that you use your computer to manage an irrigation system) If you are traveling and are away from your workplace (a golf course, if I remember correctly??), won’t that require some form of networking?

Google says - Yes, you’re correct. WWAN card hahaha. This isn’t me - but someone else on reddit who did the same thing I did: https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/hmq4l4/t480s_wwan_ssd_success/

And another: https://bjm.me.uk/blog/thinkpad-t480s-ssd/

And yes, I can use a screen casting software setup by RainBird to use my computer. Toro has the same thing.

1 Like

This is brilliant.

But it would still require some form of networking, I assume? You still need to be connected to the internet. In a way, you have answered my question already. You clarified that it is the WWAN that got replaced (that’s for cellular networks), which means your wifi adapter is still available. You could connect to the internet via wifi or ethernet.

Running an irrigation system from a computer is so cool, though. Computers are probably the greatest human invention of all time.

Yes. I only can’t (and didn’t anyway) use a SIM card for mobile broadband anyways. Wifi and ethernet work just fine :slight_smile:

Yup. I can run hundreds of thousands or even over a million gallons of water a day from the comfort of my living room :slight_smile: It’s wild.

Yup. Because you no longer have a WWAN device. You could probably still get one of those USB dongle thingies. Though I would imagine they take some work to set up on Linux.

When we are face with so much stupidity in the world these days, sometimes it helps to remind ourselves of the wonders that the human mind has achieved so far.

Hotspot/USB tethering works great still :wink:

And I thought my water bill was bad during the Texas summers.

You wouldn’t even believe me if I told you hahahahaha. Thankfully most of it is reclaimed. But I can run as much as 3200 gallons/min. Overseed time. . . let the money fly.

Hey all! Thanks for so many responses! One more question from me:
could you also please advice me how grub entry for windows should look like?

It varies depending on your system and how you created the entry, but could be e.g. something like this:

menuentry 'Windows' {
  set EFIFILE=/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
  search --no-floppy --set=root --file "$EFIFILE"
  chainloader "$EFIFILE"
}

Thanks all for support! Everything works as expected.

Steps I’ve followed:

1. Remove completely M.2 drive
  2. Install Windows on second disk
  3. Plug in M.2 and boot into EOS
  4. sudo os-prober
  5. sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

I had to enable this flag in grub GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false

4 Likes

Very interesting, I am dual boot windows and Linux too, but use an external Drive for that. Apart from dual booting and boot setup, I like to know how it is effect my security. The main drive where I have my Linux installed still is physically connected to my computer when I use windows even tho windows doesn’t show it because it is a different file system. How much it is dangerous security wise?

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.