Dual-boot Win11 + EOS

Done.

Screenshot_20211118_013715

Are there really no tool in linux to create a bootable Windows USB? :rage:

I might need to do that, but tomorrow. Can you share a link to the tool meanwhile?

Here you go:

https://lmgtfy.app/?q=windows+10+iso+download

You could also mount the ISO via command line under some directory and then copy its content to your USB. Search the WWW for how-to :slightly_smiling_face:

I just created a Windows usb on Eos. I can give the instructions.

Download the Windows ISO from the Microsoft site 64 bit to your Downloads folder.
Take your usb drive and format it to NTFS

Using DD to create the Windows usb

[ricklinux@eos-kde ~]$ sudo dd bs=4M if=/home/ricklinux/Downloads/Win11_English_x64v1.iso of=/dev/sdc status=progress oflag=sync

Edited:
Make sure you change the name of your home folder and replace (ricklinux) and also the proper name for your device (/dev/sdc) and also the proper name of the Windows ISO file you downloaded.

Edit: It does work as i just booted on it.

3 Likes

Good old disk destroyer coming thru like always!!

I actually rarely ever use dd. I usually always make my Windows usb on Windows. :man_shrugging:

Edit: Matter of fact i rarely use it in linux as i use popsicle-git to create my live ISO.

That’s where I made mine. I’m just saying, it’s like the old dusty Glock you keep in the drawer. You may not carry it much anymore. But it’ll always be there and it’ll always work if you need it.

That worked smoothlessly. :star_struck: You are being very helpful.

Back to dual-boot setup.

OK.

Before I proceed want to clarify stuff :thinking:

1. What is “it”? And what exactly doesn’t show up?
  2. “so that is why I activated it in Windows” - are u referring to formatting unallocated space in Windows?

So I’m planning - first install Windows. When installing allocate 200GB. After that I’m a little not sure should I do some stuff with partitions on windows or just in EndeavourOS LiveUSB (gparted, for example)?

Yes…the tools will work if you know how to use them? :thinking: I have a habit of trying to do everything off the cuff from memory or just figuring out how. Sometimes it’s hard when you don’t know an answer or your memory fades. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Okay… originally when i wrote the post i suggested creating a guid partition of the unallocated space after you install windows. @pebcak reminded me that would erase the Windows install which he is right.

If you install Windows what you do is select advanced and then set the partition size you want for windows. I don’t know what you disc size is or how you want to set it up. But what ever it is say 1TB and you use 750 GB for Windows then the remaining will be unallocated space after the Windows install. Then what you do is in Windows disc management you take that unallocated space and create another partition but don’t bother giving it a drive letter. It will format it NTFS which is fine. Normally if you assigned it a drive letter it would be D: or some other letter on Windows. But we don’t need that. Then when you go to install EOS you will make sure in the installer that you select that partition and replace. I’m not sure what other options are available doing it this way such as manual partitioning? I don’t do enough of Windows installs to remember.

If this isn’t satisfactory then you could install Windows and use install alongside with the EOS installer and it will automatically resize the partition and you have the option of dragging the partition to the size you want for EOS. Or you can resize the partition in Windows first with shrinking volume C: creating unallocated space and install it that way…

This is probably too much information and or confusing maybe? I can’t recall every aspect unless I’m doing it because there are so many variables and options or ways that you can do things.

Doing this avoid some problems later on? Meaning why dont do this stuff with gparted for example? Or it literally doesnt matter?

The only reason i like doing it this way is because Windows normally has 4 partitions. It has the a reserved partition, efi partition, restore and the partition for Windows which is C: so if you use disk management in windows to create a partition you have to shrink C: which is fine. But the your linux partition is in middle. I just prefer to have it at the end which can be done if you make a smaller partition to install windows when you install leaving unallocated space at the end.

Then when Windows is installed you can use disk management to make that unallocated space a partition to install Linux on without fear of having gparted or the installer erase Windows that you just installed by destrying the GPT partion that Windows created. I just can’t remember what options the installer allows doing it this way. I think i used replace a partition when i installed it which limits your options. So i don’t know what to tell you. I mean i have my way of doing things and everyone has their way or idea.

Maybe tell me how you want to set it up. I’m not even sure if you use install alongside what options it allows. I could run an install in vm and check. It only takes 10 minutes for me to install the whole thing or less!

1 Like

I’ll try an install in vm using alongside and see what options it lets you select.

I have 1TB (931 GiB) SSD.
I’m planning this

• 200GB Win11
  • 100GB EOS 1
  • Rest for /home partion => 1000 - 200 - 100 - 60 = ~640GB
  • 60GB EOS 2 (for testing, experimenting etc, for example, using btrfs filesystem)

Something like this.

Well because i can’t tell you for sure without going through the process and i don’t want to mess it up for you it might be easier for you to do it as if Windows was already installed. In other words install Windows and then shrink the partition down so that Windows only has 200GB. Make sure Windows is all installed, updated and everything working. Then go ahead and install EOS and you can use manual partitioning to give you what you want and you could use the EFI partition that Windows created. You just have to make sure when you do the manual partitioning that you select and edit the Windows efi without formatting it so that it will use it when you install Endeavour.

So install alongside doesn’t give you any options and also replace a partition keeps the current partitioning scheme of the partition you are replacing. Your only option is manual partitioning installing it with either method. Erase disc only gives you ext4 or btrfs file system and you can select swap file or swap with or without hibernate.

Edit: With manual partitioning you have more options such as if you want your /home a different file system such a xfs. Btrfs is a lot more work to set up during and after an install also. So if you are using ext4 and just laying it out like you said. Also other options can be set later such as swap file and or hibernation. I personally don’t use hibernation. I’m just using a swap file and i can suspend my desktop if i want but normally it’s either running or shutdown.

1 Like

Wait, wait - when I am installing windows can’t I give it only 200GB?
Isn’t there a contradiction? (check below quote) I don’t understand the shrinking part

If you install Windows what you do is select advanced and then set the partition size you want for windows.
…say 1TB and you use 750 GB for Windows then the remaining will be unallocated space after the Windows install.

ssd
This is brand new SSD there has never been installed anything.

What i’m saying is you can install Windows and use the whole disc and then use disk management tool in Windows to shrink C: down after which will create unallocated space. This would be like if you bought the system and Windows is already installed. Or when you install you can just set the Windows install to be 200GB and the rest of the space will be unallocated and you can use it after. You just have to be careful in how you do things or you can have the Windows partition deleted and then you’d have to start again.

Edit: If you want to try the Windows install using 200 GB I can try to walk you through it after Windows is installed and your satisfied to move on to installing EOS.

1 Like

Got it, I was thinking give Windows 200GB and then shrink something. This were I was confused, you were talking if there was no unallocated space and disk is fully occupied with Windows.

Alright I will go install windows. Let’s see what happens after that.