Dropbox install // Key Missing

Good day,

i just wanted to install dropbox via yay.
Unfortunately there seems a key to be missing for a successful installation:

1C61A2656FB57B7E4DE0F4C1FC918B335044912E

I will figure out how to get it fixed, but could that please be implemented permanently? Issue is the same w/ Manjaro und pure Arch.

Thanks,
Niels

Essentially, you need to import the key to your user’s keyring (see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_User_Repository#Acquire_a_PGP_public_key_if_needed and [FAQ] Issues with “signature is marginal trust”, "signature is unknown trust", or “invalid or corrupted package”)

The AUR is user-submitted content so it’s up to you whether you trust the developer’s key.

The AUR is user-submitted content so it’s up to you whether you trust the developer’s key.

I took me some time to understand how the AUR work compared to official repos. I just don’t get why one would add a package to the AUR but not the key that is necessary to install that package.
Thanks for your answer though, it is of course my bad

1 Like

I had the same dilemma as you with the key on Dropbox so I decided the safest bet was to install the flatpack version

@NielsKiel
Try the following:

yay -S --mflags --skipinteg dropbox

When asked to import the key say no.

1 Like

That means the process of checking the file is valid is skipped. If you’re doing that then you might as well just add the signing key using gpg --recv-key.

I just know it works? Said the key is missing? How to get the key?

In this case, e.g.:

gpg --recv-key 1C61A2656FB57B7E4DE0F4C1FC918B335044912E

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GnuPG#Import_a_public_key

2 Likes

Is that the key for DropBox?

It’s the key from the OP:

so I assume so? Worth checking in the PKGBUILD though.

This is a pinned comment on the AUR package page, so the process should work.

1 Like

It say’s failed.

Same issue that everyone is having with “gpg: keyserver receive failed: General error”? Use a different/more specific keyserver:

gpg --keyserver hkps://keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-key 1C61A2656FB57B7E4DE0F4C1FC918B335044912E
2 Likes

Yes that worked. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes