Driver Advice for the ASUS ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition 15.6" (512GB SSD, AMD Ryzen 9 5000 Series) Gaming Laptop

So this machine here if you’re wondering about specs/hardware specifics.

I’ve downloaded the Radeon specific AMD Vulkan drivers but aside from that nothing. I was running Deep Rock Galactic the other day and the fan was running pretty hard. Game ran just fine but I can’t help but wonder if there are software updates/drivers for the hardware that I’m forgetting about on Linux. Am I missing anything here that’s leaving this machines ability on the table?

I hope with

you are talking about sudo pacman -S vulkan-radeon lib32-vulkan-radeon and an optional sudo pacman -S vulkan-mesa-layers lib32-vulkan-mesa-layers because everything else is bad.

For the rest: As your hardware has a hybrid setup of an APU with integrated graphics (the 5900 HX) and a dedicated GPU (the RX 6800M) you need to use PRIME to run applications on the dedicated card:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PRIME

I only have theoretical knowledge about PRIME because I never used such a setup myself.
From what I have read, for example in Steam, you need to rightclick on the game inside steam, access the properties and edit its launch options to read DRI_PRIME=1 %command% - running steam with PRIME is not supported.
You should be able to check if PRIME is working by comparing the output of
glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"
vs
DRI_PRIME=1 glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"
the first should show the integrated Vega - card, the later the dedicated Navi chip

1 Like

Okay, so I’ve looked into PRIME and it looks like something I’ll need to install using AUR? Is this the prime I’d be looking for?

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/lib32-amdgpu-pro-libgl

It should not need anything installed as you are using a system that has no proprietary driver support anyway. What you have linked is definitely not PRIME.

Try these commands to check if it is already working

1 Like

This laptop has Microsoft Hybrid Graphics (MS Hybrid) Mode – will automatically switch between the integrated GPU and the discrete GPU when required by the applications in use.

I don’t know how it works in Linux.

So the text below vs is the output I’m looking for with the initial command? So what does this text indicate?

“[oneshinyboi@oneshinyboi-rogstrixg513qyg513qy ~]$ glxinfo | grep “OpenGL renderer”
OpenGL renderer string: AMD RENOIR (LLVM 14.0.6, DRM 3.47, 5.19.8-zen1-1-zen)
[oneshinyboi@oneshinyboi-rogstrixg513qyg513qy ~]$ DRI_PRIME=1 glxinfo | grep “OpenGL renderer”
OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon RX 6800M (navy_flounder, LLVM 14.0.6, DRM 3.47, 5.19.8-zen1-1-zen)
[oneshinyboi@oneshinyboi-rogstrixg513qyg513qy ~]$”

PRIME is working out of the box, like expected.

You now need to configure each game you play to use the dedicated card:

If you don’t use steam, the way might differ. For Linux-native games/tools, you have to enter DRI_PRIME=1 in the properties of the respective game/tool - just like you did in the commands with glxinfo
%command% is syntax that is only needed in the case of steam, not in native launcher shortcuts.

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply thanks much!

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.