Drive resizing

i wanted to resize my internal drive, which right now is ntfs and i wanted to slowly convert it over to a linux only file system, however i get this problem before i could do so.
Screenshot from 2021-01-19 18-43-06
i then tried to frix this via ntfs-3g with the command “ntfsfix” however when i do that i get this output:

Mounting volume... ntfs_mst_post_read_fixup_warn: magic: 0xd0b5f09e  size: 1024   usa_ofs: 25787  usa_count: 45418: Invalid argument
ntfs_mst_post_read_fixup_warn: magic: 0xd9d2179c  size: 1024   usa_ofs: 30113  usa_count: 41456: Invalid argument
ntfs_mst_post_read_fixup_warn: magic: 0x4e8ae4d7  size: 1024   usa_ofs: 6905  usa_count: 5852: Invalid argument
ntfs_mst_post_read_fixup_warn: magic: 0x778b7554  size: 1024   usa_ofs: 17679  usa_count: 16892: Invalid argument
$MFTMirr error: Invalid mft record for '$MFT'.
FAILED
Attempting to correct errors... 
Processing $MFT and $MFTMirr...
Reading $MFT... OK
Reading $MFTMirr... ntfs_mst_post_read_fixup_warn: magic: 0xd0b5f09e  size: 1024   usa_ofs: 25787  usa_count: 45418: Invalid argument
ntfs_mst_post_read_fixup_warn: magic: 0xd9d2179c  size: 1024   usa_ofs: 30113  usa_count: 41456: Invalid argument
ntfs_mst_post_read_fixup_warn: magic: 0x4e8ae4d7  size: 1024   usa_ofs: 6905  usa_count: 5852: Invalid argument
ntfs_mst_post_read_fixup_warn: magic: 0x778b7554  size: 1024   usa_ofs: 17679  usa_count: 16892: Invalid argument
OK
Comparing $MFTMirr to $MFT... FAILED
$MFTMirr error: Invalid mft record for $MFT.

how would i proceed from here? is there a solution that wouldnt require me to actually install windows again? moving all the files to another medium is also not a solution due to the currently limited diskspace i have, its just not enough to cram it all into my external ssd so i could resize this one.

As the screenshot says:

You can only trust Windows to alter NTFS because it’s a closed proprietary filesystem with many undocumented features. Windows doesn’t even support some documented features of NTFS so you can break a filesystem from within Linux just by using it within its specification…

You could potentially access the raw partition from within a virtual machine.

1 Like

Hopefully the Windows file system can be corrected as @jonathon said by running the command within Windows. Otherwise you may end up with Windows related disk problems and errors. If you are trying to shrink the Windows partition after assuming the file system is okay you need to do that using Disk Management in Windows. Then you would have un-allocated space which you can use for Linux.

1 Like

i see, looks like i really do have to fire up ye olde windows 10 vm after all

How did you plan to do that?
Is it just data on that disk? Maybe you could compress it then so it will fit on your external drive eventually? Sure, would take ages, i guess…
Or even…delete some old stuff? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Otherwise, it looks like a problem, i’m afraid. Not having a smart idea, other than what was already said.

Backup all your important data to an external drive, and just format it. Why make life complicated?

2 Likes

thats pretty easy to say, i cant just make external memory out of no where you know, and extra drives cost money, i have one external drive who is rather full already so i hoped for a solution to this.
other than just getting more memory of course.

Edit:current solution since windows vm was a bust, trying to compress data enough to squeeze it all into one drive.