Drive permissions?

I’m such a noob. I don’t know the correct terms to do a proper search and help myself. Problem: when I left Lubuntu I transfered files I wanted to keep on a external drive. I’m finally getting around to wanting the files on my PC. When I try to to transfer them a window pops up saying I don’t have permission. Can someone send a link to somewhere so I can learn to fix? Thank you. In case it’s needed, I dual boot win10/Endeavor equally partitioned on a 2TB SSD, I have the same OS’s equally partitioned on a 2TB HDD.

May have found something. I’ll try this out when I get a chance. Mother’s day and all…

Don’t beat yourself up; we’ve all been there. It’s a journey.

So it would seem you have a partition on the 2TB HDD that is in EXT4 format having come from Lubuntu.

What is needed therefore is to go into your command line, and check what is mounted using mount.
This will tell you the path of where the 1TB EXT4 partition with Lubuntu’s files is on the new EOS system.
It will be something like /dev/sda2 on /media/blah/blah type ext4 (rw,relatime,x-systemd.automount)

Then all that is needed is the following command:
sudo chown $USER:$USER /media/blah/blah -R
And that will recursively change the ownership of all the files to be accessible to your new system.

After that you may want to consider mounting the partition as part of your home filesystem, eg changing /etc/fstab to include it, and mounting it to /home/$USER/backups for example.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Fstab

It is possible to do the above using GUI tools, but then you wouldn’t learn about what is going on…

This happens because EXT4 keeps permissions of files, who they belong to. If you had the drive formatted in a more basic file system, eg ExFAT, this wouldn’t happen, but it is also more susceptible to data loss through file allocation table (FAT) corruption.

1 Like

Your answer will remain the same I think, but Lubuntu files are in my external drive. One other crucial bit of info, I left Lubuntu, then updated my computer drives and installed OS’s as explained above. So maybe I have to setup properly my drives also?

Yes, that is what I understood.
So from the terminal, with the external HDD plugged in and opened, what is the response from the command:
mount

type or paste code here
```[olson@olson-810430qe D]$ mount
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
sys on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
dev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=16408704k,nr_inodes=4102176,mode=755,inode64)
run on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,mode=755,inode64)
efivarfs on /sys/firmware/efi/efivars type efivarfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
/dev/sda5 on / type ext4 (rw,noatime)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,inode64)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
cgroup2 on /sys/fs/cgroup type cgroup2 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,nsdelegate,memory_recursiveprot)
pstore on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
none on /sys/fs/bpf type bpf (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,mode=700)
systemd-1 on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=30,pgrp=1,timeout=0,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct,pipe_ino=18774)
mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
hugetlbfs on /dev/hugepages type hugetlbfs (rw,relatime,pagesize=2M)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tracefs on /sys/kernel/tracing type tracefs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
configfs on /sys/kernel/config type configfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,noatime,inode64)
/dev/sda1 on /boot/efi type vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0077,dmask=0077,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro)
tmpfs on /run/user/1000 type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=3283368k,nr_inodes=820842,mode=700,uid=1000,gid=1000,inode64)
gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/1000/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1000)
/dev/sdb3 on /run/media/olson/a4b56fbc-e0c8-42ef-967c-9e33545c6415 type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uhelper=udisks2)
/dev/sdc2 on /run/media/olson/D type exfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,iocharset=utf8,errors=remount-ro,uhelper=udisks2)
[olson@olson-810430qe D]$ sudo mount
[sudo] password for olson: 
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
sys on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
dev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=16408704k,nr_inodes=4102176,mode=755,inode64)
run on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,mode=755,inode64)
efivarfs on /sys/firmware/efi/efivars type efivarfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
/dev/sda5 on / type ext4 (rw,noatime)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,inode64)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
cgroup2 on /sys/fs/cgroup type cgroup2 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,nsdelegate,memory_recursiveprot)
pstore on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
none on /sys/fs/bpf type bpf (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,mode=700)
systemd-1 on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=30,pgrp=1,timeout=0,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct,pipe_ino=18774)
mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
hugetlbfs on /dev/hugepages type hugetlbfs (rw,relatime,pagesize=2M)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tracefs on /sys/kernel/tracing type tracefs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
configfs on /sys/kernel/config type configfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,noatime,inode64)
/dev/sda1 on /boot/efi type vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0077,dmask=0077,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro)
tmpfs on /run/user/1000 type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=3283368k,nr_inodes=820842,mode=700,uid=1000,gid=1000,inode64)
gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/1000/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1000)
/dev/sdb3 on /run/media/olson/a4b56fbc-e0c8-42ef-967c-9e33545c6415 type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uhelper=udisks2)
/dev/sdc2 on /run/media/olson/D type exfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,iocharset=utf8,errors=remount-ro,uhelper=udisks2)
[olson@olson-810430qe D]$

ok, so this:
/dev/sdb3 on /run/media/olson/a4b56fbc-e0c8-42ef-967c-9e33545c6415 type ext4
(rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uhelper=udisks2)
looks like it is your external HDD lubuntu partition.
Check that it is by doing this:

ls -la /run/media/olson/a4b56fbc-e0c8-42ef-967c-9e33545c6415

^ lists all the files on that mount.
Does it look like your files?
If so you can safely run:

sudo chown $USER:$USER /run/media/olson/a4b56fbc-e0c8-42ef-967c-9e33545c6415 -R

1 Like

drive in question is actually /dev/sdc2 on /run/media/olson/D, but i’ll type that in your commands

Sweet, I did as you said. Files are transferring now. Thanks much. Is it set up properly now? is there more to do?

1 Like

That’s all. But as I said earlier, if this drive is to be kept on the system you may want to give it a permanent mount point.

Ok, will do

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.